Bent Valves? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bent Valves?

I only get noise in a certain rev ranges so I'm hoping it's even just the bearings. I've looked and the front axel has to come out first then the pan. So I'll have to take next weekend to get that done. Is there no way to cross something off the list without cracking it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Visual inspection is first.

You could do a compression check (Dry) then (Wet) and it may tell you something.

I’d pull the motor. Dropping the front axle is probably just as difficult to just get a peek in the pan.

It’s not going to be a bearing. I’d never consider a performance build on a motor that has been hydrolocked without replacing every part of the rotating mass.

Here's a knocking 4.6 Jasper motor I pulled apart the other day. It sounded really bad but drove itself in dumping oil everywhere. It's a big hunk of scrap metal. Connecting rod exploded w/ 11 lbs of boost. You can see the big end is still on the crank and it spins smoothly.

IMG_20190601_193211_03.jpg

IMG_20190601_173959_01.jpg

IMG_20190601_193211_02.jpg

I've heard that Jasper makes a good daily driver reman but they are not performance based.

11 Lbs of boost might have been a little too much?

They aren't what they used to be but this one wasn't their fault. Probably not the situation of the OP but....... If you keep running it with a knock it could look just like it and be just scrap metal. The explorer 4.6 is an aluminum block so you might get $75 out of it from a scrap yard...

It has an intercooled Kenne Bell. Going down to a 9lb pulley and going to give it a 3rd go on a stockish long block. It's a car I bought to drive for a bit then sell. Been stored in a garage for 10 years with the bad motor till I recently bought it. Hasn't even hit 70k miles and it's going on it's 3rd motor lol.

IMG_20190522_080401_01.jpg

Back