Best cold start procedure for high mileage explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best cold start procedure for high mileage explorer

prayforsurf0

Reaction score
City, State
Montauk NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I thought I read somewhere on the forums that when cold starting, if you turn the engine a few times but release the key before the engine actually starts you will build oil pressure so that when you do finally allow the car to start and run oil will be at the timing chain immediately. Is this true ?

I'm asking because I have a high mileage explorer that has been sitting for a week while I've been away on vacation and I want to give it the smoothest, first cold start when I return to her at the airport.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on how to gently brig her back to life after having sat a week ? Car is in NY and weather has already been a bit chilly there last week. Obviously a pre oiler is best long term solution, but I'm looking for something realistic for an immediate start and drive home.

Thank you everyone. Love these forums.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read a post here saying floor the accelerator pedal and crank for a couple seconds, then start as normal.

I read a post here saying floor the accelerator pedal and crank for a couple seconds, then start as normal.

Ok. If I crank with the accelerator wide open the car won't start right away ? Or do I have to stop cranking before it starts ?

Basically I'm asking the reason for flooring the accelerator whole cranking.

Thanks

For a dead cold start after sitting a while, I would always start the car normally but let the engine come to temp before driving away. And when shifting into drive, let the trans get the fluid moving around before accelerating away, No jackrabbit starts. On regular days (just an overnight park) I would just start it and drive off. I got 213k out of my '98 SOHC 4x.

If you hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal the engine will not start because this turns off the fuel injectors. I do this every time I start my '01 SOHC Sport Trac. I also use 0W30 Mobil 1 oil. This allows me to build oil pressure before starting. Doing this eliminates the SOHC starting flare and any timing chain noise you might have at start-up (which I do have).

From dead cold I crank the engine for around 10 seconds. It's not necessary to see the oil pressure gauge jump up, but it typically will indicate oil pressure at around 12 seconds.

From warm I crank the engine for around 2-3 seconds.

I believe doing this will increase engine life as I'm not letting my timing chains flail around waiting for oil pressure to build. Once/if I rebuild my engine's timing chain components, I plan to add a pre-oiler to it. In the mean time, cranking the engine before starting accomplishes the same thing, although it puts extra wear on the starter motor.

Personally I always let the truck warm up before pulling away. 207K on my 5.0, or in summer I at least let it idle down to around 500-600 to know its ready to go. But what chefduane said is great, I'm gonna start letting my truck sit in drive for 10 seconds or so for now on before I pull off.

Hey thanks everyone. I'm going strong at 230K with frequent high quality synthetic oil changes, and typical maintenance. This info really helps as I'm really looking to get the most out of my 4.0 SOHC engine. I drive very gently, warm the car up on the first start of the day before driving, and wait for the tranny to fully engage before taking off. Appreciate the confirmation from everyone on how to make her last the next miles ! Cheers.

Back