best headers for 4.0 ohv, 4WD, 5 speed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best headers for 4.0 ohv, 4WD, 5 speed.

woodco100

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt rare 5 spd 4WD
Saving for a new motor, I need to know what are the best headers for a 1996 XLT 4.0 ohv, 4WD, 5 speed.

Thanks again for all the help to everyone, the build is moving right along.

:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey man, Im in Deltona!
I have Pace setters on my ohv and they are pretty decent. Only big issue was the collector was on the Y-pipe goofy so I had to work my exhaust. Get new gaskets as the ones included are garbage, and get the stainless ones if available. Hope this helps!
Check out my registry! :Joes Money Pit

Headers on a stock ohv are pointless. No gains will be made.I also run pacesetters, fit perfect for me.

It seemed to improve my mileage a little bit, but I have no data to prove it. Acceleration increased slightly and it sounds a little better. Not arguing, just giving my input.

I am about to tear into my 98 XLT 4.0L OHV 5-Speed 4x4 to find a coolant leak. I'd like to improve performance a bit as I put it back together. I noticed that you guys agreed on the pacesetters, but one commented that they wouldn't do much good on a stock engine. Other than a free flowing intake & remainder of the exhaust- what mods would be required to take advantage of headers? THANKS!

I am about to tear into my 98 XLT 4.0L OHV 5-Speed 4x4 to find a coolant leak. I'd like to improve performance a bit as I put it back together. I noticed that you guys agreed on the pacesetters, but one commented that they wouldn't do much good on a stock engine. Other than a free flowing intake & remainder of the exhaust- what mods would be required to take advantage of headers? THANKS!

I shouldnt say they are ""pointless"" but if your expecting big gains or have no reason to go to headers, then they are not worth it or shouldnt be high on the list..

You really need head work or cam to really take advantage of them.with intake, exhaust you may notice ""slight"" improvements. The heads are what is so restrictive, not exhaust or intake.gains will be minimal until you get them to flow better..

If I had a choice to either buy headers or other mods, I would pick a E-fan, intake and under drive pulley.would cost ruffly the same and would release more hp and mpg than headers any day of the week.headers would be last on the list after head mods (cam, valves, P+P)

I see... How about an aftermarket exhaust? I was pondering a Gibson Stainless single cat back exhaust. Would that be wasteful without head work? Also- I'll show my ignorance- what is P+P? I don't suppose any 3.8 stuff interchanges- I've got SC stuff sitting in the garage (heads,intake,SC,intercooler,injectors,TB, maf...)

I see... How about an aftermarket exhaust? I was pondering a Gibson Stainless single cat back exhaust. Would that be wasteful without head work? Also- I'll show my ignorance- what is P+P? I don't suppose any 3.8 stuff interchanges- I've got SC stuff sitting in the garage (heads,intake,SC,intercooler,injectors,TB, maf...)

It all depends on what you think is worth it.if you do 3-4 things it may add up to something but is the cost worth it? If I spend $300ish I would want to see more than 1-2hp....now exhaust I consider worth it because of sound and yea it helps a little.if you do headers I would do exhaust and intake to make it worth it or so you notice something. Lol

They make kits to use the 3.8sc on the 4.0.your have to search on here.
p+p port and polish;)

Where is your coolant leak at? If your pulling heads then do a cam if you want real power.all the other bolt on stuff can come after and would show much larger gains.

i ran pacesetter set up with the y pipe etc on my 93, i noticed very little difference, also use a stock (new) gasket theirs is crap.

headers beat the stock set up in looks :D

mine are for sale to bad you couldnt use them.

leak appeared to be coming from between the back of the passenger side head & the block- so I do intend to pull the heads. I don't have a tuner or any experience with one- any worthwhile cams that wouldn't require one? I have pondered a full engine refresh or even an engine swap, but the electrical side of things is hampering my enthusiasm for the swap.
Sorry woodco100 - I didn't mean to hijack your post...

leak appeared to be coming from between the back of the passenger side head & the block- so I do intend to pull the heads. I don't have a tuner or any experience with one- any worthwhile cams that wouldn't require one? I have pondered a full engine refresh or even an engine swap, but the electrical side of things is hampering my enthusiasm for the swap.
Sorry woodco100 - I didn't mean to hijack your post...

You dont need a tuner.id throw a 410 cam in it with longer pushrods.then headers and bolt on stuff.

You have a 98 so tuning would be easy.id still do it last or once a couple more parts are on it.

You have a standard trans, correct?

Me, If the heads are off anyway, a valve job and dual rate springs would be in order. Then you are good for the 422 cam and push rods. I would highly doubt you would have to get a tune although it would be helpful at that point.

You can get the cam out without pulling the motor, or draining the freon.

It all depends how far you want to go. I think JD would agree with me that a 422 cam is a nice upgrade.

Good thread. Just the Kind of info I was interested in. Thanks.

Just a fyi it was the metal felpro gaskets and m8 stage 8 bolts I used.

^x2 on the bolts! keeps it from backing off.

I think they have updated the gaskets that come with them.I dont remember them being made of the material they are now.hmmm wonder if anyone has used this new type that comes with them??

These the gaskets you all got?? Ill look to see if I can find my old ones, I didnt use them because they looked like crap..

20140402_190645_zps0znlohyb.jpg

Those don't look like the ones that came with mine either.

Mine baked, hardened, and broke out in chunks within weeks after install.
I used stock manifold gaskets, and have had no issues.

I hope those hold up better.

Those don't look like the ones that came with mine either.

Mine baked, hardened, and broke out in chunks within weeks after install.
I used stock manifold gaskets, and have had no issues.

I hope those hold up better.

Lol I just PM you so disregard. .

But yea I seem to remember the old kind being a different color and more paper like.these are like a head gasket material minus the metal.they are thick with almost like a rubber feeling outside with a core being a different material. .

I was planning on using the good old metal fel pro ones but these look pretty good.:dunno:

They look good. They must have finally ran out of those crap ones they were shipping the headers with. Great headers, but those gaskets.....

I guess they felt that people liked their headers so much, they would want to remove the headers a second time within weeks to replace the gaskets.

I have had no issues since, the headers are straight and true.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back