• Register Today It's free!

Best limited Slip differential

exposport02

Reaction score
City, State
ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport
I Have an pen rear differential on my 4x4 explorer and am goin to put a limited slip in it. I have seached the forum for limited slip differentials and there are 3 that stick out: Eaton Posi, Powertrax No-Slip, and Detroit True trac, i am looking for a limited slip not a locker, because im not goin 2 do ne off roading, i just want the best for the snow conditions. so in your opinions what do u believe the best unit is?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Powertrax is more of an auto locker than an LS. If you want a really good, true LS, go with the Eaton.

TrueTrac is the best LS. The No-slip is a locker, not an LS. Another good LS is Auburn Gear, which I run in my rear axle. If I had known better at the time, I would have gone with the Truetrac instead, as it is gear driven and does not wear out.

are trac locs same as limit slips?

The thing that sticks out the mist w/ true trac is that there is no clutch pads that wil need replacement, unlike the eaton where their are clutch pads

My point exactly with the Auburn!

swak, yes.:)

ssoo confuse. trac loc will transfer power to the wheel with MOST traction when the other one is in the air, correct? if so, i will be driving with open rear until i get stuck and the trac loc kicks in, correct? is there a locking sound when that happens? does it transfer power fast that u would not feel the lag? like climbing a ledge, one wheel in the air, the other one gets the power instantaniously or is ther like a few second wait while the other one spins in the air??

No, no, the Trac-lok will transfer power to the wheel with the LEAST traction!:( Yes, sometimes the truth sucks!

huh? so what is the point of trac loc then?

ok i went to a shop to see how much it would cost to put an eaton posi in my explorer and they said a total of $1,000. it breaks down to 400 for labor and 600 for parts, does this sound about right?

how about you just get a locker that disengages when you let off the gas, that way you can take corners semi-normally and still be driveable. You should also be able to get a locker cheaper, there are several people that have put lockers in themselves, I know for a fact that JasonB did it himself, ask him how the driveability of his truck is with the locker in.

Yea i looked into a locker two, but seems with all of them you manually have to turn it on, limited slip it automatically engaes. And with the lockers, turning is very hard i live on snowy and curvy roads so a limited slip is prob better.

You'll still have to modify your driving habits as you would with an automatic locker (no switch), just not as much. With poor driving, an LS (as can a locker) can actually make wet driving more dangerous as it can cause you to fully lose traction instead of just partially if you're applying too much power.

My Eaton LS was about $350 I believe, and labor is the same as installing gears (which you should do at the same time if you're planning on it), anywhere from $200-400 per axle.

$wheel parts lists the TrueTrac at $335. I would shop around for a place to install it.

yea well i decided to go with the Eaton its a lil more expensive then the trutrac. but i think it might be a better LS. the Eaton LS itself is about like 400 plus like 40 shipping and then the shop needs other parts to modify it to my axle. I am not changing my gears im keeping them at 3.73. but does 1000 seem reasonable or is this guy ripping me off?

Originally posted by exposport02
but does 1000 seem reasonable or is this guy ripping me off?
That's what you can learn by shopping around!;)

well, to put in in perspective....i can get a true-trac for 360 + 100 for an overhaul kit + 40 for shipping + 350 for labor, total cost = 850, but depends on market and who you have do it.

I got the Eaton for $340 shipped I believe, and install was $350.

Has anyone run the truetrac with 33's with success or is everyone just saying you can't run 33's because that is what detroit says??? If you could clarify this for me that would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back