BEST PLUGS for a stock 4.0 OHV...? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BEST PLUGS for a stock 4.0 OHV...?

how about this my colorado has got "iridium" plugs do they offer any more durability over plats ? al.... my x has got autolite 765 coppercore plugs in it ,would the motorcraft single plats be any better than what i got now ? meaning fuel economy ???

thanks. . . . . . . . :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motorcaft single platinum plugs, or I beleive that Autolite still makes the double platinums ( http://www.autolite.com/products/doublePlatinum.php ).

Yep, those are on my short list. As is the NGK PTR5F-11. Like Autolite, NGK is used by Ford for some OEM apps (for example, the Villager comes with NGK plugs). Both the Autolite and NGK plugs are double platinum. Ford's current plug (AGSF42FM) is a "Platinum Finewire - Nickel Plated Shell" plug, which Ford describes as:

Finewire platinum - Our latest advance, these top-quality plugs offer more platinum to reduce fouling firing voltage, and provide higher service intervals.

A cooler, cleaner burn sounds good. But I've also heard Ford's prime motivation was cost savings. With this in mind, it's important to note Ford's claim of "higher service intervals" is not the same as "100,000-mile service intervals" which they claim for the double platinum plugs they still make (see Spark Plug descriptions). Looking around, I also found this post about a similar Finewire plug on an SHO forum which raises another question:

The Motorcraft AGSP32FMs are single platinum plugs, but they work as well as the 32PPs did, because, to quote a Motocraft engineer:
"...Fine wire means a .030" to .040" dia platinum nickle alloy rivet welded to the end of the center electrode. There is about three times the precious metal than what is found on a 'P' level enhancement. The P's are made by crushing and welding a small special lump of Platinum nickel so that it is a disc about .003" thick.

The effect of the point on the center electrode is reduction of required firing voltage and that aspect slows down the erosion of the sidewire. Consequently, we can use a single 'finewire' enhancement to replace the double 'p' designs for service and get the same durability.

Some auxiliary advantages of the reduced firing voltage is less stress and therefore better life of coils and wires, etc. and cold foul misfire is improved. Don't go crazy getting some because our systems are robust without it and the improvement is modest and mostly unrecognizable except for special cases. We use it in production as a durability measure for those engines that wear out plugs fastest."​

Having said that, the 32FMs are 1/16" longer than the 32PPs, so there's no real advantage in using them, and I've stopped installing them in my client's cars, opting for the Autolite APP 3924.

As for Autolite, you'll notice the photo of the plug for Explorers (APP765) is not a fully-threaded design:
APP765.jpg

I've read numerous posts about spark plugs exploding out of Ford engines because of this. But I don't know if Explorers are susceptible to the problem. But I'd think more threads would be better.

The photo for the NGK, if it's the actual plug, does appear to be a fully threaded design:
laser_platinum.jpg

If Motorcraft Double Platinums were still made, I'd choose them hands-down. Now, I'm not so sure Motorcraft is best. After looking into this a bit, I'm beginning to think I'm just seeing too many posts about problems with Autolite plugs to feel comfortable choosing them over the Motocraft Finewires (premature wear being another common complaint). But I am wondering if the NGK plugs might be the better choice now. I'd love to hear opinions.

Flandry:

On that pic of an Autolite plug you'll note that there is a thick shank between the end of the threads and the shoulder where the plug seals the the head. If the thread were continued all the way to the shoulder, none of that extra thread would screw into the head because the head hasn't got threads for it. No spark plug can change that for you. If you are concerned about the problems of spark plugs being blown out, avoid the 5.4L engine (which doesn't seem to be readily available for Explorers anyway) and make sure you torque the plugs properly, don't use anti-seize, and have no lean fuel conditions, ignition timing conditions, overheating, or low EGR flow.

Looking at the second plug, the NGK (I am fond of the NGK v-power) you will note that instead of a beveled shoulder it uses a flat shoulder and a gasket. The two plugs are not meant for the same engine and cannot be interchanged as it would almost definitely give a compression loss and probably also an incorrect heat range.

Flandry, what a great post! I love these kind of posts.

The threads on the Autolite plugs was the reason why I stuck with Motorcraft single-platinum. Ok, so they are not gunatreed for 100k. I have no problem with that. I'll pull one at 25k and 50k and see how they held up.

just forget it . . . . . . . . . .:thumbdwn:

Flandry:On that pic of an Autolite plug you'll note that...

Looking at the second plug, the NGK (I am fond of the NGK v-power) you will note...

Thanks for clearing things up! I saw those differences which was why I questioned whether the photo of the NGK was supposed to be the actual plug. Also, I've also never heard of exploding plugs in an Explorer, so I didn't figure threading was a critical concern, but wasn't sure.

My concern with the Autolites starts with the number of complaints I see about them on forums. In all fairness, I've seen just as many recommendations for them. I also keep seeing people recommend Autolite when Motorcraft is hard to come by. Very unscientific, but it raises a doubt that so many people don't like them and insist on Motorcraft when many claim them to be so similar. I've seen less complaining about NGK, but this could be just as meaningless.

So are Autolite and Motorcaft plugs significantly different? I looked for historic information and came across this forum post:
In the 1960s Ford purchased the Autolite Electrical Company a company that already produced 90% of all aftermarket Ford replacement parts. Ford wanted to change that. Ford sells the Autolite company to Bendix(now owned by Honeywell). Ford creates the Motorcraft company to be a competeing entity.

Autolite and Motorcraft plugs are not built at the same plant but generally preform to the same because they are built to the same exact OEM specifications.

I have serviced equipment in a Motorcraft plant.

As it turns out, Ford bought Autolite in 1961, but had to divest itself of the company in 1972 after the US government successfully brought an anti-trust-suit against Ford for building a monopoly in the battery and spark plug business. A history of the Autolite spark plug can be seen here.

Since that time, Honeywell and Motorcraft parts have often not been the same. Autolite's sister company, Fram, produces oil filters for Fords that are considerably different from Motorcraft's offerings. So there's no reason spark plugs couldn't likewise vary. But do they actually? I don't know.

As for NGK, they claim:

NGK laser platinum plugs have the highest platinum content in the industry, which is why NGK is one of the worlds leading supplier of O.E. double platinum spark plugs.

Such a definitive claim would have been rapidly reported to the FTC by competitors if it wasn't true, so it's almost certainly fact. Since platinum is material responsible for longer life, this would appear to be a point in NKG's favor.

You say you like the NGKs. Can you expound on your experience with them? Have you used Motocraft or Autolite as well?

Flandry, what a great post! I love these kind of posts.

The threads on the Autolite plugs was the reason why I stuck with Motorcraft single-platinum. Ok, so they are not gunatreed for 100k. I have no problem with that. I'll pull one at 25k and 50k and see how they held up.

Thanks. I'll definitely be interested in what you find.

how about this my colorado has got "iridium" plugs do they offer any more durability over plats ? al.... my x has got autolite 765 coppercore plugs in it ,would the motorcraft single plats be any better than what i got now ? meaning fuel economy ???
just forget it . . . . . . . . . :thumbdwn:

You don't give anyone time to look into things. :rolleyes:

From a Honda site:

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode (at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture their iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points for a spark plug.

This, theoretically, should result in a cleaner burn over platinum plugs. However, I have yet to find anyone claiming (with proof) that Iridium plugs perform better than OEM spec'ed platinum in a non-commercial application. I've also found complaints of poor performance resulting from switching to Iridium plugs. If your Colorado came with Iridium plugs, I'd think replacing them with Iridium plugs would be a good idea. But from what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if they yielded no difference in an Explorer.

As for longer life, here's what one guy stated on a GM post:

just did a complete tune up on my 2000 gmc yukon w/ a 5.3 I put in a/c Iridiums (stock OEM plug) and new plug wires, air filter, pcv valve and it seems to run a lot smoother. the old iridiums had 120,000 miles on them and i compared the 2 and the electrode was noticably much more worn out. So far i have been happy w/ the plugs.

As mentioned previously, I got 118K on my Motorcraft double platinums. So there may not be a meaningful difference here.

thanks, sorry about the last post ...been one of those days today that nothing has gone right ... sorry all .

well good to know that the plugs i got in the chevy are good stuff but as far as the x goes i was thinking about switching from the regular autolite coppercores to some plat plug but i guess if i have been reading correctlly there would not be any differance in mpg just long life right ?

well hate to sound like a broke record again about the last post but i try not to be that way but today was a whopper so ...i'll shut up now :D (lol)

pretty much on the same topic, I just got a set of plugs and wires for my ohv and I am having a problem getting to the plugs. How do you get to the plugs on the drivers side? There is so much stuff around there im worried about breaking something:D

pretty much on the same topic, I just got a set of plugs and wires for my ohv and I am having a problem getting to the plugs. How do you get to the plugs on the drivers side? There is so much stuff around there im worried about breaking something:D

Its relatively easy; go through the fender liner after removing the tire.

al, I saw a lot of people saying that but when i took my wheel off and the liner I looked and there was a lot of stuff in the way still it seemed like. Also the plugs are angled upwards which kinda scared me. Will going in through the wheel well give me a higher chance of breaking them off? I just don't want one of the plugs to break and I have no idea when they were replaced last or if anti-seize was used. Thanks.

Here are some instructions that are similar to the way I do it:

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/plugs2.html

He advises:

First and foremost, you gotta get a 5/8" universal spark plug socket. Don't try using a regular socket and a universal adapter, spend a few bucks and get the right tool.

and I can't stress enough how important this is. One of my few Snap-On tools is a 5/8" universal spark plug socket with extension, which I got specifically for this purpose.

thanks, sorry about the last post ...been one of those days today that nothing has gone right ... sorry all .

well good to know that the plugs i got in the chevy are good stuff but as far as the x goes i was thinking about switching from the regular autolite coppercores to some plat plug but i guess if i have been reading correctlly there would not be any differance in mpg just long life right ?

No problem. I've seen nothing anywhere about different spark plugs yielding better mpg. But due to being a PIA, I find it a huge benefit not to have to change them so often. I have seen where better wires and aligning the plugs yield improved performance. Aldive has good threads on these somewhere.

thanks flandry, i think tommorow i'll look into some plats for it and change the oil while i'm at it :)

yea that write up will definately help im just a little weary about the drivers side. I might end up just taking it to a place and just having them do it since I already have the parts and everything.

I'm curious about why you fear anything that lasts more than 30K.

It's not that I fear it.
I just would never go 100k between plug changes. It's just not necessary, IMO.
I'll stick with standard plugs. I just wanted to know what the part #s were.

ok next probably dumb question... I just bought OEM plugs from ford for my ex, do they need to be gapped? I would think they are already set at the correct gap, right? Thanks.

They should be pregapped. But I always like to check 'em anyways just to make sure. The gap should be .054.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not that I fear it.
I just would never go 100k between plug changes. It's just not necessary, IMO.
I'll stick with standard plugs. I just wanted to know what the part #s were.

Well, I guess I just don't understand the logic. Seems to me that's like changing your oil every 1,000 miles.

Ford doesn't sell any non-platinum plugs for the Explorer. If you want to get OEM plugs, your choice are:

AGSF42FM or 686 (Platinum Finewire - Nickel Plated Shell)
SP486 (Platinum Finewire)​

For non-platinum, you'll have to go with some non-Motorcraft brand. Autolite's part number is 765. NGK's is TR55. Depending on your choice, you should save anywhere between $3.50 to $4.50 on a set of six versus their platinum plugs. You might save even more with a brand like Champion or Bosch. But I'd read up on the problems people have had with them first.

Back