Better ride? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better ride?

Data804

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
What is needed to be purchased to make my car ride a little smoother over bumps in the road? Suspension, Shocks, etc........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody????

Depends on what you are experiencing ... Maybe more info would get you a better answer..

Could be steering (tie-rod rattle, mis aligned)
Could be Suspension (springs, leafs, shocks, etc)
Could be Body mounts...

Could be the driver :p: J/K

..could be the fact that these vehicles were never designed to handle the road. but things can be done such as larger swaybars, deffinetly consider a full poly bushing kit from energy suspension, stiffer shocks, new coil springs, etc..

WHAT ABOUT WHEN I DRIVE OVER A SPEED HUMP (WIDER AND SMOOTHER THAN A SPEED BUMP) MY ASS END TRYS TO FLY, BUT WHEN MY WIFES '93 1/2 TON CHEVY GOES OVER IT NOTHING. sHE CAN HIT THAT THING AT LIKE 50, IF I HIT IT AT ANYTHING ABOVE 8.4MPH ID SWEAR A POTHOLE JUST SWALLOWED MY TRUCK AS MUCH AS IT THROWS ME AROUND!
Sorry bout the caps I'm at work didnt realize they were on!

These explorers are just rough riding vehicles. Stiffer shocks are just going to make it worse as they firm up the ride. But you may have blown shocks which would cause it to ride harsh.

The explorers would shake on the highways and sway back and forth over every little bump when they were brand new. Not to mention the whole rolling over all the time thing. Expecting a smooth ride 17 years later is a long shot. Unless you wanna start redesigning it.

Back