Better Rocker Arms For 91 Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better Rocker Arms For 91 Sport?

Shotguns2

Reaction score
City, State
Coal City, IL
Would newrockers improve hp or torque any? Does anyone know where to get them for the 4.0?
Please, I'd like any help I can get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No they won't but dependent on how many miles are on your engine your lifters could be worn and causing your valves not to open and close fully and that will sap HP from you.....

A set of TRUE roller lifters (with roller fulcrums and roller tips) can add around 10 or 15 HP because it will cut down on frictional losses. I'm not sure if such a rocker is available for the 4.0 (sorry), but I do know that I have been reading about some longivity issues with them, I've read from several sources they only last about 30000 miles (considering them on my Mustang)... Good luck!

I have Comp Cams roller lifters on my stang with over 100K and they are fine. Roller lifters definetely give you HP though because of less friction.

Rad Rockers

If you get a rocker with a higher ratio, you will infact make the engine think it has a big cam. Like if you have a 1.6 ratio you could put a 1.7 ratio.

Originally posted by MSTNGGUY88
I have Comp Cams roller lifters on my stang with over 100K and they are fine. Roller lifters definetely give you HP though because of less friction.

Oh cripes, I'm dumb:confused: ... I didn't mean to say roller lifters, I meant rockers. LOL, yeah, roller lifters last damn near forever, rockers don't.

I forgot to mention when you switch to roller rockers, regardless of the ratio, it usually takes some machine work. They usually need hardened pushrods with guideplates, and I'm not sure about the rocker mounts on the 4.0, if they're pedistal they'd probably need milled down and screw in studs added.

I also have the roller rockers on mine also but they are Hardlan Sharp Gold. They haven't given us any problems but they are a high dollar rocker so i'm not sure about the cheaper ones. I'm sorry I misread the question earlier also.

You didn't misread it, I mistyped it :D ... I have no experience with roller rockers, I just have read about them, in the latest Summit someone asked a question about them and in Summit's response they said they don't last very far over 30K. It was asked about on the vintage 'stang board where a few people verified it, said the needle bearings tend to go around there. But like I said, I have no personal experiences to go on, I'm just regurgitating what I've read, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

How do you like your Harlands? When I finally get off my lazy can and get a set of Austrailian heads for my 351, they're on my list to check out (along with the Comp Cam Magnums).

For roller rockers, try:

www.vanirtechnologies.com
www.centralcoastmustang.com Go to 4.0 Liter Performance section.

Talk to these guys, it's their business to know.

Roller rockers do decrease friction, which unleashes HP, but, you're not going to get much bang for the buck if you JUST install roller rockers. If it were me, I would only install roller rockers if you were going to complement them with some other performance installs, like cam, headwork or new heads, or induction mods. And really, if you want a very noticeable performance boost, save and bolt on a blower.

Well ofcourse you are right. We have a full drag car not a street car so there isn't any stock parts to the engine. They probably wouldn't do much without the others unless you used the higher ratio to act like a bigger cam. The Hardlan's are nice and I have talked to many other engine builders that have loved the Comp Cams Magnum Series. They said they have had many good experiences with those also.Good luck.

I know!

If you want to get fancy you could do like the Nascar guys and put pressurized oil sprayers in the valve covers. It sprays oil dirrectly on the rocker. I think it almost extends the life of the rocker by two. I'm sure there would be varios thoughts and comments about your setup from people that snapped to it while looking under the hood.

Roller rocker do little to increase horsepower... their shining virtue is to require less oiling to the top end. This in turn reduces the amount of oil that collects in the valve covers which reduces the amount of oil dropping through the valley and getting caught in crank windage.

Bear in mind that most roller rockers require higher valve covers.

While anything that will reduce internal engine friction will result in higher rear wheel horsepower. The roller rocker just isn't a real cost effective way of doing it....

Back