• Register Today It's free!

BIG BLUE gets a 'light' mod

jakebrake

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 5.0
LED light bars are the way to go these days. Better light with less power. Its time to update BIG BLUE's old and dated KC lights. To save the debate about led light bars Ill just say I bought this one because it was cheap! It is easy to spend as much or as little as you want on these things and yes in some cases you get what you pay for. Another Serious Explorer stumbled upon this site: Ningbo Lite Way Car Accessories Co.,Limited - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress  and at those prices I thought 'why not'. I purchased the epistar 32" expecting to put it on the bumper Blue is getting (stay tuned) but after some thought of how exactly I was going to use the bumper it needed to be some where a little more safe. The grill was the next best option and it looked about right.. just a little cutting and it should be good.

Here is the how the light bar mounts on my X using the mounts that came with the light and some home made spacers to get it out to the grill: Notice the hard plactic that holds the grill and also a part of the light assembly had to be cut. - The diamond plate 't' is the connection for the removable cross member nothing to do with the light.
light bar mount.jpg

The light also wouldnt fit in the middle of the grill as I wanted it to because of clearence with the grill mounts. The hood latch was also modified to make the space it is in.
front light.jpg

It appears flush but it is not the grill has a bow to it that the light obviously did not. This does allow for up/down movement of the light but it is slight.
side light.jpg

Big blue has a 5.0 swap and the radiator extends to the bottom of the frame, even with that body lift. I also have a very large efan on it so Im really not worried about the truck or light getting hot. The light itself is fair quality and has an all aluminum housing with basic silicone at the wire port located dead center on the back. Aiming the light is possible but the diffusion being a spot/flood combo is too great to make much difference any way. Its bright. Ill probably add some spots in the bumper to get the light out there a little better but this is most likely enough already!
lights on.jpg

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks Awesome , very nice spot for it too ! . Big Blue is a Beast ! .

Thats it! but I only paid about 160, shipped from shanhai in about 5 days.

Nice Mod!

Lookin good, Jake! I can't wait to start modding my new one. Looks like yours has come a long way since I last saw it... I've got a lot of work to do to catch up with you! Lol.

That seems like a pretty good price for it , Will look into these after I get sorted out .

Any pics from the trucks/drivers point of view??

Awesome install! Looks really good there.

I wonder how those lights will hold up with time, especially when put to use on the trails. I have a pair that are changing colors.

Added a couple of pics from the driver seat..

Just got around to ordering one for mine. How long did it take them to get you the light?

Thats it! but I only paid about 160, shipped from shanhai in about 5 days.

I really couldn't believe how fast it came... I watched the tracking and it made about 50 stops in shanghai so I stopped paying attention and a day later it was at my door step in the middle of the us.

Sorry i missed that post. Hopefully mine comes that quickly. I don't have a tracking number yet.

Honestly love this truck, such a great color and everything just looks great. Good work!

How do you pop the hood now? that is a wonderful area, looks so snug in there too.

littlebro294 Ill get a pic of the 'modification' I did to the hood release on monday for you.

This looks great. Thought about LEDs awhile back but wanted to keep the "classic" look of a first gen. Guess I can have my cake and eat it too. Only thing I would be concerned about is over heating but as you mentioned the electric fan should keep it in check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics vanished a while back so I put them back in, sorry!

Back