Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread

Progress is good and it's looking good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Progress is good and it's looking good!
Thanks. Has anyone seen my previous thread regarding missing diagram with FRU in the Ford Motorsport SVO Supercharger installation manual. The manual implies that the FRU is to be used even on the 99+ with a returnless fuel system. Says to see some unknown diagram that is missing from all copies of the manual that I have. I need to determine this is the case even with my upgraded in take 255 fuel pump.

Thanks in advance

Another interesting item. The original owner of my supercharger kit was Zachow3. Found this inside the cone filter that he had with the kit. From reading through the threads It seems that the kit was never fully used or installed but he did several tests with this kit on his truck. This piece of metal found inside of the filter is kind of strange. Was told that it looks like it came from a MAF but I’m just glad that I found it before things were installed and it potentially was sucked into the engine. This kit has been sitting on my shelf for several years so I’m assuming that this has been inside of the filter for some time now. Two things are written on it. P03 and then in a different place the number 17

CB8618AA-B81F-49B6-B1C0-0F2D3B935683.jpeg

Does FRU = Fuel Regulation Unit? If so, I wouldn't install it. Tuning was done in the past for boost by increasing fuel pressure and turning down timing. You will be tuning with the EEC and a higher volume pump with larger injectors to fuel it.

I tried to tune with one and my first blower was a Powerdyne. The fuel management unit added fuel across all loads and rpm but not enough at lower rpm and high load. That resulted in a popped head gasket when I towed a guy out of sand........................That is when I bought my first Tweecer, larger injectors, higher volume fuel pump and tuned it right.

Does FRU = Fuel Regulation Unit? If so, I wouldn't install it. Tuning was done in the past for boost by increasing fuel pressure and turning down timing. You will be tuning with the EEC and a higher volume pump with larger injectors to fuel it.

I tried to tune with one and my first blower was a Powerdyne. The fuel management unit added fuel across all loads and rpm but not enough at lower rpm and high load. That resulted in a popped head gasket when I towed a guy out of sand........................That is when I bought my first Tweecer, larger injectors, higher volume fuel pump and tuned it right.
Thank You for that wisdom. Glad to hear that I do not have to worry about it.

Yes, FMU is the common name for a device which raises the fuel pressure based on vacuum, I'm not sure what FRU would mean.

BTW, that metal object is a wire terminal, a raw uncrimped terminal, likely it just errantly fell, down into the filter.

Yes, FMU is the common name for a device which raises the fuel pressure based on vacuum, I;m not sure what FRU would mean.

BTW, that metal object is a wire terminal, a raw uncrimped terminal, likely it just errantly fell, down into the filter.
See step 25 and 26. They refer to the blue FRU (see bolted to firewall) and even it's use on a 99+ returnless fuel system per some unknown (and missing) diagram)

B4674447-00B0-4916-A690-EAFA7EF4074B.jpeg

6B08B504-8C7A-4C87-9908-853DDDFD4A7D.png

Yes, that is an FMU, they are just using a different uncommon name for it. That goes in the return line, and restricts more fuel based on dropping vacuum(WOT), than the regular FPR. You don't need or want that, it was very common in the early days of EFI, but thankfully has died away.

Quick questions:

I am wanting to have a dedicated vacuum source for the boost gage on my installation. Where would everyone recommend to tap into the intake at for this?

I'm also installing a Bosche BOV Bypass. Where would be the best place for this to be place and where should the charge be fed back into the system. Before or after the MAF?

Thank You

Tap the vacuum between the main intake and vacuum booster hose, that is usually the most stable source

The BOV goes downstream from the MAF, so it doesn't alter the inlet air measurement. I think you can pull it anywhere in the inlet pipe going to the intake, where ever is most convenient.

Tap the vacuum between the main intake and vacuum booster hose, that is usually the most stable source

The BOV goes downstream from the MAF, so it doesn't alter the inlet air measurement. I think you can pull it anywhere in the inlet pipe going to the intake, where ever is most convenient.
So tapping directly into the intake manifold for a dedicated vac line is not necessary or recommended? Was reading that some of the Mustang guys recommended a dedicated vac line by tapping into the upper manifold but not indication as to where or really if that extreme was necessary.

The main vacuum outlet point on the intake is what feeds the vacuum booster, that's the most trustworthy source. The other couple can be used also possibly, with a boosted intake, the vacuum can vary depending on where each outlet is at. At a lower boost, they might all be identical, so your application is the easiest to work out. I would bet the one which is closest to where the gauge line gets to the engine, will work fine.

Another minor issues come up. You can see the lower port of the water pump has very little clearance between it and the supercharger bracket. Has anybody seen this before and does anyone have any suggestions? The installer is pointing out the top port which seems to be fine with clearance but it’s the lower part that has very little clearance for the hose..

0242A0CD-13BE-4BBB-A572-3A145464FECC.jpeg

C683ECFD-6266-428C-BB08-4D2C08416131.jpeg

B38E81C8-202D-4D05-AD2C-5A4A7C9C7391.jpeg

Hmm, that kit doesn't seem to be perfect for the Explorer 302.

That last picture kind of looks like the hose might be possible to route behind the bracket, next to that bolt. If that is the easiest path, you might alter the two water outlets a little, shorten those ends for that one hose, to make the bend less tight at the two pinch points.

I also wonder if a new water pump is planned, that one looks old? As much trouble as the WP R&R is, being all the way down to it would be a good time to replace it, if it's age is suspect.

Hmm, that kit doesn't seem to be perfect for the Explorer 302.

That last picture kind of looks like the hose might be possible to route behind the bracket, next to that bolt. If that is the easiest path, you might alter the two water outlets a little, shorten those ends for that one hose, to make the bend less tight at the two pinch points.

I also wonder if a new water pump is planned, that one looks old? As much trouble as the WP R&R is, being all the way down to it would be a good time to replace it, if it's age is suspect.
Hi Don - this Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne kit was made for the Explorer but I'm seeing some minor stuff probably due to running changes Ford had for the Explorer. My kit has a up to 99 Explorer spec so not sure. Zachow3 had this kit before years ago and he test fit it to his truck but never mentioned anything about the close clearance with the Water Pump tubes.

So yes, thinking about replacing the Water pump. Any that you or anyone else recommends?

Thanks

A Ford WP is the best, but note that they seem to be made in China now, listed on the Ford box. The one I did mine last month was from many years ago, but other people have posted pictures of the new boxed units. They look alike, so we are hoping they are still the top choice. They weren't that expensive from what I recall, say $75.

A Ford WP is the best, but note that they seem to be made in China now, listed on the Ford box. The one I did mine last month was from many years ago, but other people have posted pictures of the new boxed units. They look alike, so we are hoping they are still the top choice. They weren't that expensive from what I recall, say $75.
Yes, I am seeing most of the Motorcraft Water Pumps I've pulled up seem to be from China. Really not wanting one from China.

What do you all think of these?
This is a GMB - which I've read alot of the Mustang Guys have recommended

Eldelbrock

Another company
FlowKooler
(Not sure which of their pumps is compatible)

Any others?

Thanks

Here is the FlowKooler one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The FlowKooler is a well thought of WP, I would like that one as well as a real Ford WP. The GMB is a hit or miss brand, I think that's what I had from NAPA for my SOHC, and the inlet had a tall rough edge which created a leak(poor casting).

Summit has the FlowKooler 1666 for $99, I'd get that one if nothing else seemed better.

Back