bigger engine or turbo | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bigger engine or turbo

I wouldn't go the centrifugal blower route if you plan to use the the truck off road. You won't see appreciable power from it until the RPMs are north of 4,500 and peak power will occur near red line. The torque curve below 5,000 RPM won't be much different than if the engine is N/A. Having to rev the engine near red line to get power from the blower leaves little room for error, driver and mechanical. The power delivery from a turbo can be similar to a centrifugal if it isn't setup properly but they can deliver low end torque if they are. Getting a broad, flat torque curve from a turbo isn't an easy task if you have no experience with them.

IMO, the best forced induction option is a positive displacement blower as these type of superchargers provide a substantial power increase from idle to red line. The power can also be finely modulated with the throttle. This is especially helpful in off road conditions. A positive displacement blower on a smaller displacement V-8 feels, and responds, just like a built big block engine.

wow intense!! the "best bolt on" i ever did is the 4406 swop. there is a thread in here its very detailed. and headders. i have a set of ground fms headders. but arnt avaible anymore. tmh is the best headders and the only one u can buy that fit. i would start there. oooooo and sct tuner will put it over the edge. u will be very impresed. "bolt on"

Back