bigger engine or turbo | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bigger engine or turbo

Good suggestion if he just wants more grunt at low speeds.
Yeah but you dont need all that tire rotational speed if you have the proper tires. THe only reason he's gunning the engine is because his tires arent getting enough "grip" in the mud - therefore he's relying on momentum to keep him moving . If he gets enough traction, he can actually stop the vehicle in the middle and start again (and maybe LO range to increase torque and help prolong the life of the trans). So IMO, the issue isnt really power, its traction.

images.ashx?i=4WD_SAMB123.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy is a relative term. You may not think it is easy but others might think otherwise. The fact is you don't if it is easy, or not. The guy asked a question and got some answers. Let the OP determine what is easy for him. If he doesn't go the blower route it won't hurt my feelings in the least. I can say with pretty much confidence that installing a KB on a 5.0L Explorer is easier than installing a big block engine.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236947
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210882&highlight=Kenne+Bell
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265885&highlight=Kenne+Bell

I found these is less than two minutes. There are a ton more possibilities as a KB search turned up almost 250 threads. I'm not going to scan all those threads. There looks to be a lot of interest in the subject at the least.

There are several ways to get around accessory drive conflicts. Especially if an electric fan is used. I modified the belt pattern by adding an idler pulley on my Mustang in an afternoon to get more belt wrap on the 16 psi blower pulley. Like I said, this isn't rocket science. Especially for a guy that can do a big block swap in a 2nd gen Explorer.

Of the three links not one shows a KB installed in a 2nd gen explorer. One was a 1st gen with a mustang motor, and the other 2 were just discussing possibilities. While yes it is possible to make one work, it would be a ton of custom work. That's why most people looking for boost go the remote turbo route.

Of the three links not one shows a KB installed in a 2nd gen explorer. One was a 1st gen with a mustang motor, and the other 2 were just discussing possibilities. While yes it is possible to make one work, it would be a ton of custom work. That's why most people looking for boost go the remote turbo route.

One has a KB blower on a V-8 in a 1st gen Explorer. Should be a relative snap to do it on a 2nd gen with a V-8 already in it. If you haven't done it how do you know it would be a ton of work? If the only thing you call "easy" is a direct bolt-on then maybe you have a point. I have seen KBs for 5.0L mustangs installed on 351W engines with little trouble. I find it humorous that people who have ZERO experience installing a KB blower on anything somehow think they are experts on the subject and know all the pitfalls involved. Maybe more people stay at a Holiday Inn Express than I thought. Here's an Explorer with a Whipple installed which, IMO, is more difficult than a KB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgycMP47jQ&feature=related

One has a KB blower on a V-8 in a 1st gen Explorer. Should be a relative snap to do it on a 2nd gen with a V-8 already in it. If you haven't done it how do you know it would be a ton of work? If the only thing you call "easy" is a direct bolt-on then maybe you have a point. I have seen KBs for 5.0L mustangs installed on 351W engines with little trouble. I find it humorous that people who have ZERO experience installing a KB blower on anything somehow think they are experts on the subject and know all the pitfalls involved. Maybe more people stay at a Holiday Inn Express than I thought. Here's an Explorer with a Whipple installed which, IMO, is more difficult than a KB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgycMP47jQ&feature=related

The first gen has a mustang 302, not an explorer 302. Which you still don't seem to understand have a lot of external differences that would make the install challenging. I also find it funny that someone who has ZERO experience with the explorer 302 is able to tell someone how difficult installing a blower on it would be.

The first gen has a mustang 302, not an explorer 302. Which you still don't seem to understand have a lot of external differences that would make the install challenging. I also find it funny that someone who has ZERO experience with the explorer 302 is able to tell someone how difficult installing a blower on it would be.

Since I am the only person with any experience installing KB blowers on 5.0L and 351W engines one would think I know a bit about the exercise. I know that there is no problem installing a KB on 2nd gen V-8 Explorer that can't be overcome with a little bit of ingenuity. The blower mounts in the same position on both engines. I bet the coil pack can either stay in the stock position or with a slight modification. The coil packs are where the distributor is located on a Mustang 5.0L. The upper and lower intake of an Explorer V-8 is a direct bolt-on fit to a Mustang. If a person has much mechanical skill they can get around whatever issues exist.

Since I am the only person with any experience installing KB blowers on 5.0L and 351W engines one would think I know a bit about the exercise. I know that there is no problem installing a KB on 2nd gen V-8 Explorer that can't be overcome with a little bit of ingenuity. The blower mounts in the same position on both engines. I bet the coil pack can either stay in the stock position or with a slight modification. The coil packs are where the distributor is located on a Mustang 5.0L. The upper and lower intake of an Explorer V-8 is a direct bolt-on fit to a Mustang. If a person has much mechanical skill they can get around whatever issues exist.

No one is arguing that it can't be done, with enough time and effort almost anything is possible. What we are auguring is that it is not going to be an easy straight swap like you represented it to be.

for the t case swap, what would i need, im lookin for and and found a 5.4 v8 rear driveshaft, can some on write a list for te swap. and i havent been mudding in my X yet im just on the highway wiping my ass with ****ty honda =)

No one is arguing that it can't be done, with enough time and effort almost anything is possible. What we are auguring is that it is not going to be an easy straight swap like you represented it to be.

I never said it was a bolt-on operation. It is also not a pull all your hair out and invent some new curse words undertaking. It comes down to possible reconfiguration of some accessory drive items and the normal items like AFPR, tuning etc. that any forced induction application requires. The fact their are many interchangeable parts from Mustang applications makes this an even easier process. You are stating it is hard, or not easy, when you don't even know what is involved in the process. I have installed these blowers on 302s and 351Ws and it comes down to accessory drive issue. The blower is even designed fit in the space of a stock upper intake so no hood mods are needed.

What is easy is left up to the individual. Just because you think something is hard doesn't make it so. As I said before, anyone that can accomplish a big block engine swap would find installing a KB on a 5.0L Explorer an easy exercise. What may not be easy for you is not necessarily the case for others. We are big boys here. Let the OP decide what he is capable of doing. If you can't get any more specific on the installation than I have then what are you adding of relevance here?

I never said it was a bolt-on operation.

yes, yes you did.

for the t case swap, what would i need, im lookin for and and found a 5.4 v8 rear driveshaft, can some on write a list for te swap. and i havent been mudding in my X yet im just on the highway wiping my ass with ****ty honda =)

I can't remember off the top of my head, but do a search for 4406 swap. There are numerous threads, and i believe there is a sticky somewhere that lists exactly what parts are needed including shifter linkage part numbers.

yes, yes you did.

The term "bolt-on" wasn't used until the 23rd post in this thread and it wasn't in the context you claim. If fact, I refer to possibly needing to fabric some parts early on. So no, I didn't. None of us knows if this is a bolt-on operation but I can say it isn't that difficult to make work.

The term "bolt-on" wasn't used until the 23rd post in this thread and it wasn't in the context you claim. If fact, I refer to possibly needing to fabric some parts early on. So no, I didn't. None of us knows if this is a bolt-on operation but I can say it isn't that difficult to make work.

you may not have said those exact words, but you surely made the implication it's a piece of cake on more than one occasion.

Also the installation of the Kenne Bells on 5.0L engines is simple. I could remove the one from my car in 30 minutes and reinstall it in 45 minutes. It will likely fit under the stock hood too.

The above quote comes off as it being a simple, probably bolt on swap. And while it may be a simple swap for you, it might not be for others. And honestly I think the fact that you've installed a KB on a mustang doesn't give you nearly as much knowledge about what will and won't work than those of us that actually own and modify the same motor, but in a very different application.

Yeah the guy has talked about swapping in a 460, but I would bet he hasn't thought it though very much. Getting a 460 to fit would be an incredible amount of work making all kinds of custom parts that would make most people give up. Pufferfish just managed to squeeze a 408w into a 2nd gen engine bay and a 460 is 2" wider and 5" longer. It would require at minimum moving the firewall back several inches to makes it fit.

Where did I say it was as easy to install a KB on a 5.0L Explorer as it is on a Mustang? You decided to interpret my statement as something I did not say.

The fact is that the differences between a Mustang 5.0L and an Explorer 5.0L are structurally minor. KB sold blowers with manifolds that bolt right on a Cobra lower intake that the Explorers have installed from the factory. For all we know there may be even fewer differences in the accessory drives with the '94 and '95 Mustang 5.0L engines.

You think you know more about installing a KB blower on a 5.0L engine than a person that has done it numerous times and modded his own installation to include rerouting of the accessory drive, water injection, complete new fuel system, programming his own TwEECer chip, using a J&S Safeguard for detonation prevention among many other things? I have forgotten more about KB installation on 5.0L engines than you will ever know. There are two main issues with a KB install on an Explorer 5.0L. One is pulley alignment which can be dealt with in a few ways. Second is throttle body issues which can be resolved using some aftermarket parts for the 5.0L engines. It isn't rocket science to do a KB installation for a person that can install a completely different engine in an Explorer like the OP indicated.

So to recap, I didn't say it was a bolt-on procedure. I actually said parts might need to be fabricated. Also, no one posting in this thread to this point has put a hand on a KB blower, let alone installed one on a 5.0L engine, except me. No one here is an expert on the subject but I would say some have more knowledge about it than others.

thanks guys, stop this arguing on this thread, im looking for help, and two of you guys are argueing about a kb sc swap which im not doin

you may not have said those exact words, but you surely made the implication it's a piece of cake on more than one occasion.

No, YOU decided to interpret it that way. Your definition of "easy" might be different than another person's. Relative to installing a completely different engine, it would be a "piece of cake." I am giving the OP an option to consider. Nothing more and nothing less. At least I have relative experience installing KBs on 5.0L engines. The KB will bolt-on the engine with relative ease. There are a multitude of speed parts for, and OEM parts from, Explorers and Mustangs to complete the installation. I take the OP at face value and if he talks about installing a completely different engine then installing a KB, based on his claimed skill level, is comparatively easy.

thanks guys, stop this arguing on this thread, im looking for help, and two of you guys are argueing about a kb sc swap which im not doin

whatever route you go, it would be a custom job.
there are no super or turbo kits for the 5.0 Explorer.
Well, ExplorerExpress used to sell a supercharger kit, but that hasn't been in production for a while.

You could always get a stroker kit for the existing engine, along with intake spacer, TorqueMonster headers, and an appropriate tune.

I know I've seen/read of a 351W in a Ranger, so it's certainly do-able in an Explorer.

Also, why Dana 40? A D40 is weaker than the 31-spline 8.8. You surely don't want to downgrade your rear axle while increasing tire size ;)

No, YOU decided to interpret it that way. Your definition of "easy" might be different than another person's. Relative to installing a completely different engine, it would be a "piece of cake." I am giving the OP an option to consider. Nothing more and nothing less. At least I have relative experience installing KBs on 5.0L engines. The KB will bolt-on the engine with relative ease. There are a multitude of speed parts for, and OEM parts from, Explorers and Mustangs to complete the installation. I take the OP at face value and if he talks about installing a completely different engine then installing a KB, based on his claimed skill level, is comparatively easy.

you can stop now ;)

thanks gavin, one of the few that are helping me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks gavin, one of the few that are helping me

it looks Powerdyne actually made an Explorer kit too, that was used on the Saleen Explorers.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60421

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f351/my-powerdyne-install-185484.html
although the 2nd link is not an Explorer engine, he said he did use the Explorer front dress and even had to get the 90* elbow for the intake

Looks like justin146 here on the boards has a remote-mount turbo on his 5.0
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198896

Back