bigger tires on 06 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bigger tires on 06 explorer?

hey guys
i just got an 06 explorer xlt v8, and im lovin it! i have 3 questions though
on the stock suspension, what is the largest tire size i can fit without rubbing fenders or hitting the suspension/steering(or any other issues)? stock size is a 245/65r17. a 265/60r17 would be perfect but its a very uncommon size, but i dont know if a 265/65r17 will fit or not without any issues. what i would love is to put a set of 265/65r17 bfg all terrains on it
also, with the larger tires, is it possible to re-calibrate the ecm to show the correct speed rating on the speedo? i've seen this done on some f150's, not sure if the same thing would apply here.
if i can re-calibrate the speedo, how would i do it? do i need to use a ford scantool or would a snap-on modus suffice?

thx guys!

PS: i had this posted in the regular 06-10 section and had asked for it to be moved and it never was, so i re-posted here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With both sises the speedometer does not have to be adjusted, the diference is so small.
I dont know if they may be fitted on your rims but probably they may.
With de /60 tires the diameter of the tire is 0.25mm smaller,so the same.
with the /65 tires the diameter is 26mm bigger so the speedometer will give a lower speed then with the old tires. because they give mostly to high in the normal setting, now it will give a more acurate speed.
Your gravity-point gets 13mm more of the ground. This makes the point of rolling over of the car comes a bit sooner, and Explorers are already known for that.
For these reasons I would prefer the /60 tires. Speed shows the same, and because of the wider tire makes the car even more stable.
You can re-calculate the advice-pressures with my spreadsheet.
Also whise to do so with the original tires because the formula I use ( from European ETRTO) comes to higher, so saver pressures then the American TRA formula( exception when original is 26 psi sometimes).
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=257436

hey guys
iwhat is the largest tire size i can fit without rubbing fenders or hitting the suspension/steering(or any other issues)? stock size is a 245/65r17.

Iwas looking at 255/65r17 and i noticed that on mine there was only 10mm clearance between the sidewall and steering knuckle. I guess you could add shims, but i just went stock size.

With both sises the speedometer does not have to be adjusted, the diference is so small.
I dont know if they may be fitted on your rims but probably they may.
With de /60 tires the diameter of the tire is 0.25mm smaller,so the same.
with the /65 tires the diameter is 26mm bigger so the speedometer will give a lower speed then with the old tires. because they give mostly to high in the normal setting, now it will give a more acurate speed.
Your gravity-point gets 13mm more of the ground. This makes the point of rolling over of the car comes a bit sooner, and Explorers are already known for that.
For these reasons I would prefer the /60 tires. Speed shows the same, and because of the wider tire makes the car even more stable.
You can re-calculate the advice-pressures with my spreadsheet.
Also whise to do so with the original tires because the formula I use ( from European ETRTO) comes to higher, so saver pressures then the American TRA formula( exception when original is 26 psi sometimes).
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=257436

i too would prefer a 265/60r17 tire, but its a very odd size with rather limited options

Iwas looking at 255/65r17 and i noticed that on mine there was only 10mm clearance between the sidewall and steering knuckle. I guess you could add shims, but i just went stock size.

well, if to run a 265/65r17, i would be willing to use shims...but does anyone here have any experience with using shims on our trucks? i imagine that would start to require fender flares, and new wheel studs, as well as worrying about rubbing points...

i too would prefer a 265/60r17 tire, but its a very odd size with rather limited options

well, if to run a 265/65r17, i would be willing to use shims...but does anyone here have any experience with using shims on our trucks? i imagine that would start to require fender flares, and new wheel studs, as well as worrying about rubbing points...
I’m running 265/70/17 and they don’t rub at all. It’s roughly 31.6 inches. Pretty incredible if you ask me.

Back