billet grille? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

billet grille?

slravene

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC (Home) / Raleigh, NC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Im thinking of getting a Billet Grille (like many others on this site) but the fact that the hood latch is located behind the grille makes me think twice....how do you open your hood with the grille on there? please help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your hood latch isn't under the lip of the hood? Maybe they didn't do that till '96 explorers?

95-97 is in the grille. 98-01 is under the hood once it's popped. I use a flat head screwdriver on mine. It's easy.

I have a 92 with a billet grill and the guy i bought the explorer from made an extention that attaches to the latch and sticks out of the grill about 1/2"

I attached a length of coat hanger wire to the latch itself under the hood. Then made a loop on the end that I can put my thumb in ,once the hood is first released, then pull the wire to the right and the latch releases. The loop end of the wire "hides" just inside and under the lip of the hood, next to the latch.

i jsut stuck my fingers through the slats on the grill.... a tight fit, but i have giant/shrek-like hands, so normal peoples hands should fit without much problem, others i have heard just slide a screwdriver in between the slats

Back