ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I went to install the rear bumper brackets for my explorer with a 3" body lift (kit #883) and well talk about a pain. I don't remember anyone saying anything about having to do so much modification. What we ended up having to do was cut off a few notches of the frame (small pieces) cause the bumper was now hitting the frame end. Then we had to space out the bumper bracket (thats on the bumper) out so it'd help clear some of the frame. It was just a big pain and we had to use the cutting torch way more than I thought we would even have to. I thought that the bracket below was suppose to be a bolt on type deal. Guess not. This is now just a heads up for anyone trying to do a rear bumper lift to accomidate for the 3" body lift. Here is the bumper bracket diagram

1097rear_bumper_lift_brackets.jpg

Basically, at the bottom we had to round it off so it wouldn't hit the bottom lip of the bumper. Atleast my bumper is fixed (took about 4 months to actually find time to do it). I had dual exhaust, so I cut the tips off since the bumper would make the exhaust look weird. I plan on getting it rerouted sometime in the next few months.

-Drew

LOL yeah definately not a direct bolt on for the rear, sry man I forgot all about having to bend the two brackets on the bumper itselft a lil to get it in with the slight modification of the brackets themself...oopsie

Yeah - I can laugh now, but woo - talk about some extra work. I will take pictures soon. Might be able to wash my truck tomorrow. Great time for picture time. Hopefully now everyone will know.

-Drew

Back