Black as night | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black as night

@Sgt1411,
...Once all 8 bolts are removed you slide the rails either forward or backward (don't remember which way) to release them from the center support...

Slide the rails toward the front of the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha, look at you. Already prepping.
Here are 2 pics. One with the blinker off, one with it on. The photos only do it so much justice based on exposure in a crappy environment etc.

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

Just curious. Since you took off the amber lens, did you ever consider switchback leds? white light until the blinker comes on then it turns amber.

@Sgt1411,
I removed the rails to paint them. The plastic end cap covers just pop off. Then there are 2 bolts under each one. Once all 8 bolts are removed you slide the rails either forward or backward (don't remember which way) to release them from the center support. Once off the actual endcaps unscrew from the rails from the bottom side.
Basically, remove the endcap covers and it's pretty easy to figure out from there.
No, I left the stock strut brace.

Thanks guys.......thats my next mod

@WOLFexplorer, I wasn't aware of them plus I kind of like the amber bulb. I might switch to an LED.

switch backs would look pretty cool in there with the amber gone. You still get an amber turn signal, but running lights would be white. I just installed amber LEDs in my front corners this weekend. On the good side, you don't need load resistors on the fronts. You can swap to LEDs and won't have any hyper flash. The rear turn signals however, you do need load resistors.

Yes, I installed them. I didn't do before measurements but the lip of the fender sits about 30 13/16" off the ground currently and that's with these wheels/tires that have an overall radius 3/16" larger than stock so figure about 30 5/8" with stock wheels/tires. That's assuming your sport has the same tire aspect ratio. Limited stock is 255/50-20.

Can you take a measurement from the center of the wheel hub to the fender lip? Then we can compare suspension height regardless of tire size, rim size, tire pressure, etc. I'll measure my Sport tonight and we can get a comparison of how much net drop it provides.

2. Did you change the strut cross brace (steel from one strut to the other) in the engine compartment as part of your suspension mods? I ask because I noticed the OEM Sport one if different design from the Limited.

I didn't know they were different. Any pics of the limited brace?

@Harley356, good info, thanks. I'll try to get some measurements tonight and a brace pic.

can you post pics of the ambers working at night from a bit farther away?
very interested to see them working real world' with the painted lens cover.

@Bstollmaier, I think what we all need to see is a video :) would love a walkaround of your vehicle.

It would answer a lot of people's questions. I would love to see the car rolling a little, plus it would do the headlights justice, everyone could also see the amber lights.

Just a suggestion/request

Yeah, let me see if I get some time this evening to get a vid shot and uploaded. That would be better.
LukerDuker, FYI the lens cover is not painted. The reflector inside behind the bulb is.

Harley, specifically what bulb did you use?

Harley, specifically what bulb did you use?

I used these for the front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11096705203...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1449wt_1141

And these for the rear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17103258062...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4103wt_1106

Those links will only last as long as the ebay auction is around so I'll post up another thread hopefully tonight with the info on the LED turn signal mod.

I also needed to install a pair of these on the rear, and I also fabbed an aux heat sync for them. The front's didn't require any resistor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310670069234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

for myself i just ordered v3 triton from vleds. >link<

yes there expensive but nothing should be able to match them in brightness. I'll post a video once i get them. they also have them as switchbacks as well

@Harley#356,

Are these LED's switchback or regular ? As well do you know if a load resistor will be required for the switchbacks?

Thanks for the info.
WOLF, did you add anything in the base adapter category when ordering or does the kit have everything needed? Based in your link I assume you didn't get the switchback version?

Thanks for the info.
WOLF, did you add anything in the base adapter category when ordering or does the kit have everything needed? Based in your link I assume you didn't get the switchback version?

@Bstollmaier, looks like somebody is about to get some switchback LED's.

Just a suggestion, I would say get regular white for the parking light and a switch back for the turn signal, this way the amber will only be visible when the turn signal is engaged.

Ha, I'm thinking about it. Not sure how the white aspect of it works when we don't have DRL. I'll have to investigate. I'm working on getting a video together currently.

Oh, and center of hub to fender is about 16 9/16"

came out great, those headlight look awesome!

I gotta do that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha, I'm thinking about it. Not sure how the white aspect of it works when we don't have DRL. I'll have to investigate. I'm working on getting a video together currently.

Ya with no DRL it might change things a little. In Canada all limited's come with HID's so the DRL are amber, not my favorite look.

Back