Black bumper and grill paint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black bumper and grill paint?

I have a 92 xlt and I want to paint the grill and bumpers black like the 92 sports. Eventually I will replace the dog leg and get it rhino lined from the trim down in black also, to look like the sport. What type of paint should I use for the bumper and grill and what type of prep should I do to these parts(bumpers and grills? Also, does the plastic insert in the bumpers come off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would use a semi-flat black auto paint from your local auto parts store. Don't use something like Krylon. Using Krylon, it may look very good when sprayed, but wait a few months and it will start to turn blue when wet. As far as prep, just sand it to give it good adhesion and shoot some good coats of primer.

And the black inserts, not sure if you mean the black plastic bumper that goes on the outside of the bumper, but that part does come off. Behind the bumper, there are small plastic clasps to squeeze together and then it will come off very easily.

I was actually thinking of painting my "Grill" and was wondering what a good colour would be if i did and also the "Rear" Ford Badge what color's do you guys think???
By the way, does the chrome around the headlights come off easily???

ok cool i was thinking that to!!! so i just sandpaper the blue off and spray on the met red right?

Ok guy's i painted the rear ford badge to the MET RED of my truck and from a distance it look's good but up close you can see the craked chrome writing of FORD!!! Is there any way to pull the ford badge apart without braking and cracking the Ford writing??? or any tricks with pulling it apart would be appreciated as i have another badge to try again with. But overall looks great! and Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• red ford.jpg
    red ford.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 346

Any tricks to it????????????

sorry to crash on dudes thread but VB dude hartman did a really cool step by step of this process with pics

where is it matey?

Back