Black Diamond Shaker Hood Upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Diamond Shaker Hood Upgrade

well, i assume that the intake setup that is on the black diamond will fit directly on any SOHC. So the only thing that wouldnt fit is the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they dont give you the hood, just a template to cut your hood and a gromet to clean up th cut surface.

o really? I thought it said the hood was included.

I'm pretty sure they're selling the whole hood.

You guys are right, my bad. I didnt read the whole thing. i know the kits for the Mustangs just came with a template to cut the hood. Even the company named "Banshee" made the shaker hood for the Fox bodies just sold the hard ware with template.

Here is a link to the Fox body install of the Banshee Shaker Dead Link Removed

What kinda HP gains would you expect from this upgrade, and how does it actually work?

Doesn't seem to healthy for the engine . . .

Not healthy for the engine?!??!?!??! It helps it breathe! That's like saying quitting smoking will give you lung cancer!

lol, great analogy hartman!

Anybody have any theories about me making a functional air duct out of that new Mustang hood scoop I like so much?

can you answer my other Questions?

And what i meant was that when you let in a lot of air, you also let in a lot of dirt . . . I dont know which filters do a good job on filtering, so I dont know how well a ram air filters either.:frustrate

You'd probably want a good high quality filter in that airbox. The sweet thing about functional scoops is the extra boost at speed. Heh, one of those links say that the mustang kit adds 15-20 horses and that "the 10 year old stang was breaking tires loose easily." However, from a stop, a functional scoop is no different than any other air system. Its doesn't do anything different (okay, maybe a bit colder air), than the stock airbox, until the speed of the car starts pushing air down its throat. I had a big chrome Hilborn scoop on my Mustang, the coolest thing is reving your engine and watching the scoop move with the engine torque. Don't expect it to do anything for your low-end hp, but the faster you are moving the peppier it will get.

Banshee shaker...

Once the supercharger install gets settled in, I will be installing the banshee shaker setup. I will keep you all posted if you wish. It looks great on my friends mustang but there are going to have to be some mods to make it fit in my MM. For one, our engines sit lower than the fox body's so a spacer will have to be made to go on the intake... my other thought was to put an inake spacer under the intake to lift it an inch or so. Also, with the S/C there is not much room to play around in there and the custom box it comes with will not fit... which sucks because it looks great. Overall, this kit is great on the fox body mustangs but it'll take some tlc to get the stock look in the explorer. If it looks stock then someone did a good job!

LowdPypes, how's that charger install coming? whatever happened with the crank pulley?

impatience is my virtue...

It is still in the process... I ordered what I needed from Powerdyne and had it shipped 2-day UPS... I had a four day memorial day weekend to get it in and they shipped the wrong thing. (The story of my life.) grrr.... so thrusday, I order the right thing again and went fishing everyday to ease my mind. <sigh> Hopefully it will be here today. I guess it was ok cause I went and had all the brackets sanded, primed and painted "plum purple" (like the rest of the mods on my car). I also had to retap some of the holes in the s/c unit cause SOMEONE went haywire on this thing... we won't say who, but they no longer post on here. All-in-all, I think everything is going to be ok. Ultimately, when it comes in, I have the advantage of installing it (kinda) previously so there will be no, "next time, I should have done this..." All I have left, is to pickup my airbox I had fabbed from aluminum. I also bought all new bolts and washers and stuff. I hope it works...

I will be getting this black diamond shaker hood this summer if i save up enough after wheels!

Forget wheels! I rather get his hood first!

pictures...

I, as well as many others, would love to see how it turns out. Good luck man!

lowdpypes, its gonna be awhile man, i got my pay checks lined up for things im getting for my ride.

It's a shame the the 03 Mustang's Shaker hood is striclty styling, not functional

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much do you guys think it will be to install the intake and this hood?

Back