• Register Today It's free!

Black or green?

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Good morning. Over the weekend I sold my spare engine and transmission. Irritating as the guy was, he came bearing cash so all was well.

(Sidebar: Why is it people can come to your house wanting something your selling, talk about the uses they have for it, but then tell you how you have nothing but junk? I understand "looking for a deal" or "haggling" but come on, have some decency.)

I sold these to fund some body preservation- Monstaliner! And because I don't like the purple on my Ex. The question is, do I go with black or green? I want to do green, but I'm concerned that perhaps it wouldn't go well with the gray upper? Black should look fine, and it would also be easier to touch up in the event of chips. But black also just seems boring.

Help me decide?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think green & grey go better together than black and grey. Black has to be done just right in order to pop, otherwise it can look like a lazy paint job.

Very good point. I don't want it to come off looking like some of the badly done bed liner jobs I've seen done. At the same time black may look more subtle, so if it's not perfect small mistakes won't jump at quite as much.
I ordered a few color chips so we'll see what those look like against it.

I'm not clear as to your intent, so forgive me if I'm off base.

Black will show swirl marks. As much as I like it, if it isn't a modern car paint job, I'd stay away. Seen them look green under street lights.

I've have a forest green and its aged well and looks decent.

I've seen some greys, when we special ordered our 94 at purchase, I don't recall the grey as an option.

If I ever repaint mine, it'll be grey.

I'm looking at Monstaliner. DIY bed liner and exterior coating kit. Way better than most kits.

www.monstaliner.com

There's an 850 page thread on jeep forum about it. Awesome stuff.

Just keep in mind that using bedliner over body parts that tend to rust can still cause them to rust - underneath the bedliner. You'll definitely want to make sure whatever you coat with it is structurally sound and painted up, not just using bedliner to cover up bad spots.

Personally I think rattle can paint is the way to go on rockers or areas that see a lot of paint chips or body damage, especially on off-road rigs.

If you want to try the stuff out though, maybe you can mix black with green and get a darker green if you don't want just plain black.

I have no rust on my Ex, and trying to keep it that way. This is hard to do on MN roads, so I was thinking the liner might be the way to go.
No need to mix colors - they have 40ish now, and by the end of the year claim they will close to double that.
I've been thinking about a darker green, and leaning towards this color
http://www.shop.monstaliner.com/Gallon-Tint-8-ounce-Jungle-Love-MS-JUNG.htm
I think I would need 3 gallons to do 2 coats. Right now I can afford to buy 2. I put my spare BW 1354 transfer case on craigslist. If it sells I should be able to buy 3 gallons. I might buy 3 of the green and 1 of either black or one of their darker gray or black for trim.
I think my biggest hold up is fear of screwing it up.

My 92 is Rusto Smoke Gray lightly thinned and rolled on. I bed-lined the roof with rattle cans and it takes a beating like a champ - from hail to sliding ladders on and off. Rims are Pro-Comp Steelie "D's" a also bed-lined.

Never saw any of those Gray/Black Rubicons and Wranglers til after I did mine. I'm convinced Jeep was envious of my design!

I'm about to refresh my paint-adding only a matte clear coat..or 7 and bed-line down low like Anime pointed.

The durability and longevity of paint is in the prep. If you're spraying several thin, "dry" coats will look better and last much longer than trying to aggressively make the paint cover. Chemistry of paint-riveting.

awesome... i've been recently obsessed with the idea of using monstaliner on my now rusting black sport... i'd have to take care of the rust first. i at least might try it on the roof where it looks the worst. i've scanned the jeep forum myself the last week or so, some of those jobs look great. i'm debating getting rid of the black i currently have for some fun color.

I still haven't decided what to do and how much. Right now I'm thinking I might go cheap and just cover the purple in black. There's a couple spots where the paint has chipped off. I'll put some sort of rust converter on those then probably a primer over the top just to make sure they stay decent. Or I may spring for a dark green just to make it different. I don't think I'll cover the whole thing though like I was thinking though.
I'll post some updates once I decide.

Back