Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft

Might as well throw this into the mix:

Google's new Android Autos OS unveiled, will be in cars this year - Autoblog.com

From the article:

"The technology is nearly as impressive as the roster of manufacturers Google has already enlisted to offer the system. Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler are on board, as are Honda, Hyundai, Nissan and Volkswagen."

Is there a platform out there that Ford hasn't signed on to support?

Car play and android auto are streaming functionality. They can co-exist, why wouldn't ford want to support both of them? (And any others that they can)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Car play and android auto are streaming functionality. They can co-exist, why wouldn't ford want to support both of them? (And any others that they can)

I didn't realize the android was streaming too. That is what I get for a too fast read, lol. In that case, support away :)

From here on the new Edge:

"Ford promises that the next-generation, non-Microsoft Sync interface is on the way but that it wont be ready by the time that the Edge hits the market. The good news (or bad news, depending on how well it works) is that the redesigned interface can be loaded into the Edge at any point once the new software is ready."

Adds to the possibility that current owners might be able to switch to the new system. It also tells us not to expect it before 2015!!

More on the Android Auto including a demonstration of the software. I've sampled many navigation flavors and by far, google nav has the best, most relevant routing bar none. All of the other auto gps setups have real problems. I'm not sure why, just my observation. Add to that the fact that on my android phone this feature is FREE - I call that a win!

The only real problem with this may be if it requires a continuous data connection - which isn't available everywhere.

As a techie - if I were shopping for a new car - this system would be a reason to buy for me.

For Ford's sake. I hope they have better luck with this system. Hopefully they will check it out before they use customers as guinea pigs. I have used the current system from the beginning. It has improved leaps and bounds since 2011. My current MFT is pretty much flawless. No problems to speak of. This will be my last Ford vehicle. Mechanically my sport is awesome. It's the little stuff like MFT and a leaky rear end that have been the big difference. They fixed the leak on my Sport by applying caulking to the seams and anywhere there was a seam. They even put it around the area where the rear hatch support arm is attached to the vehicle. Gives me a lot of confidence in Ford. NOT! I'm pretty sure it's gonna leak again. However, they have applied enough clear caulking, and butyl to the roof rails that it's guaranteed not to leak until the warranty is up. Unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Well, here is a major disappointment from the article: "Because the new touchscreens will include new hardware, owners of the current Sync with MyFord Touch system will not be able to upgrade to Sync 3. "

I really hope they are able to fix all the problems with the current POS Sync with a port of the new system, even if it doesn't have all the screen specific updates.

Disappointing perhaps, but not really a shock. I believe it was mentioned back in February that the existing platform would not be upgradeable but that Ford would still support it.

Peter

When will Ford be releasing AppLink?

Also, I find Sync 3 to be a sham. They should allow all of us with prior MFT to upgrade the hardware for a fair cost of course. Especially those of us who just purchased a 2015 model vehicle.

When will Ford be releasing AppLink?

Also, I find Sync 3 to be a sham. They should allow all of us with prior MFT to upgrade the hardware for a fair cost of course. Especially those of us who just purchased a 2015 model vehicle.

Completely agree. Ford could buy a decent amount of good will and future return customers if they make the hardware/software package available as an upgrade.

It looks like AppLink will be part of SYNC 3.

The news release also said; "SYNC 3 will arrive on new Ford and Lincoln vehicles in 2015. Although not confirmed by Ford at the time of publication, we imagine that owners of existing vehicles with SYNC (1) or MyFord Touch systems will not be able to update to SYNC 3 since it is running on an entirely different software base."

Read more: http://motrolix.com/2014/12/ford-aw...gen-sync-3-infotainment-system/#ixzz3LqFcvl00

Peter

Completely agree. Ford could buy a decent amount of good will and future return customers if they make the hardware/software package available as an upgrade.
Provide an example of when this has actually happened with a car manufacturer. The answer is it hasn't. It simply isn't practical.

I'm actually upset with this, because as has been said, there will now be no incentive to improve the system we have. :thumbdwn:

Well now you finally got it! Pretty much Ford saying so long Sync owners. Or wait, may be that's Sucker owners.....best regardsPlum

You've got it wrong once again Plum. Ford is not abandoning current owners. This has been posted several times. Ford will continue to supply support for those owners on the current system. This progression of the MFT/SYNC system is going to continue just as it is with most software based system in the market today. Your experience with your Explorer has apparently clouded over your ability to understand that the majority of owners are quite happy with their vehicles, and that vehicles, regardless of brand, are bound to have problems from time to time.

Peter

It looks like AppLink will be part of SYNC 3.

The news release also said; "SYNC 3 will arrive on new Ford and Lincoln vehicles in 2015. Although not confirmed by Ford at the time of publication, we imagine that owners of existing vehicles with SYNC (1) or MyFord Touch systems will not be able to update to SYNC 3 since it is running on an entirely different software base."

Read more: http://motrolix.com/2014/12/ford-aw...gen-sync-3-infotainment-system/#ixzz3LqFcvl00

Peter

Well thats BS because I have a 2015 Explorer

How's that BS? This is 2014. You have a 2015 Explorer that was built in 2014. The 2016 models will be built in 2015.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This article made me feel a little bit better. Looks like we will be able to upgrade our current MFT to run AppLink. I really couldn't understand why Ford wouldn't allow this anyway. All it is basically doing is providing a display for the software streaming from your phone of choice. http://motrolix.com/2014/01/ford-to-make-sync-applink-available-to-3-4-million-existing-vehicles/
This doesn't apply to MFT based vehicles. It's been discussed on here before.

Read the last paragraph of this link.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-adding-app-integration-to-3-4-million-cars/

Back