Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So Ford goes back to adding in hard buttons to In Vehicle Technology and Volvo goes the other way?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volvo-previews-redesigned-user-interface-for-xc90.html

That Volvo screen seems awful busy and distracting compared to MFT. Pinch to zoom? How do you drive and do that? I see liability issues for auto makers. I personally stick to steering wheel controls for MFT and a voice command or two. It's one thing with a cell phone where it is the choice of the driver to be distracted by scrolling screens, but I think auto makers need to be careful from a liability standpoint when they place these screens with too much on going in front of you in the vehicle and make it your only option for certain features.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE new tech in cars , but safety also has to be consideration.

Keep in mind a lot of that functionality shown in the video may only be accessible if the vehicle is not in motion.

Personally, I think the MFT system is awesome and it would be a mistake for Ford to move to another system.

People seem to forget how awful BMW's i-drive was received when it first came out as well. It's taken many years to get to where people deem it acceptable.

Still not a done deal to get rid of Microsoft at this point anyway.

Very interesting.

As others have said, since 3.6.2 was released MFT hasn't been all that bad. In fact, I don't think I've had one 'scheduled maintenance' reboot since upgrading. Overall it's also a much better integrated system in the Explorer than in some competitor vehicles (even comparing to the likes of the Garmin powered Uconnect nav that Jeep offers). The issue for me has always been the UI which never quite seems 'finished' and the resulting performance compounded by the decision to use a resistive touch screen. Unfortunately the UI design was out of Microsoft's hands but a lot of people blamed them for the system as a whole.

The move to QNX could be a very good one. It is an extremely powerful and robust OS and the company works hand in hand with manufactures to develop their own unique UI (they don't outsource). Look at the in vehicle tech in vehicles powered by QNX and if you didn't already know you would never guess they all run on the same foundation. And although they're owned by BlackBerry, QNX still operate as a separate company which should allay concerns about their longevity.

I don't want iOS or Android running my car. I don't like the idea of a generic, cross-manufacturer app based interface where Apple decides what they think I need to be able to do, and nor do I want Google collecting information about where and how I drive or displaying advertising as I drive down the highway.

The downside for us existing owners is that I would be very surprised indeed if any non-MSFT powered IVT could be installed in our vehicle without major modifications. If anything is going to change I think it would come out in the Gen 6 Explorer ~2016. The up side is that until then I think Ford and Microsoft will continue to partner to improve the existing system. There would be no benefit whatsoever for either company to basically say to all their existing owners "we know MFT sucks, just stick with it for another few years and then buy one of our new cars that has a brand new MFT powered by X... please?"

QNX update on my 2011 Explorer?

Pretty much what the title says. When MFT finally switches over to QNX, are we going to be updated as well? So far I'm pretty happy with MFT, except for slow reaction times when inputting addresses and such.

Pretty much what the title says. When MFT finally switches over to QNX, are we going to be updated as well? So far I'm pretty happy with MFT, except for slow reaction times when inputting addresses and such.

There are several posts on this very subject, so far popular opinion is that the next generation of MFT with QNX will be backwards compatible.

That said, no one knows for sure at this point, its all speculation.

Likely us current MFT Gen2 owners will get an updated version and Gen3 versions will get all new with enhanced functionality.

Lets hope its sooner than later.

atoledo, as mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this one.

Peter

This is exactly why I would never buy a car with all this electronic garbage integrated into the other systems. The idea that a computer crash would kill your a/c is just preposterous.
Now, all of you that bought into this stuff up till now? Prepare to have your still "buggy" and not really fixed "infotainment" crap be completely abandoned by Ford. The second your warranty is up, you'll be an orphaned red-headed step-child to them. As I've said in previous posts, you'll start seeing cars/vehicles wind up in the junkyard, long before they are mechanically worn out, simply because their tightly integrated "infotainment" and other electronic systems are no longer supported by anybody, and will have become unrepairable.

Imagine, 10 years from now, your a/c stops working. The compressor is fine ( even if it wasn't, replacements are available). None of the lines are leaking,etc... All mechanical aspects of the system are fine. But, that vehicle may never have functioning a/c again, because the problem is in a dead or malfunctioning MFT/SYNC system, for which there is no support, and no replacements available.

I can deal with occasionally having to reboot my pc, after it crashes while I'm surfing the web. The idea of having to re-boot fairly important vehicle systems unexpectedly? Well, that is preposterous. All this crap doesn't belong in a car; at least not so tightly integrated. Keep the radio/navigation/entertainment stuff completely isolated, functionally and electronically, form the rest of the vehicle, and make sure it is "modular" and easily replaceable, or even removable, without crippling other functions (like door locks, a/c, etc..)

This is my big fear, right here. We always bought stripped commuter cars. I've wanted an Explorer for 20 yrs, and finally got one a month ago. 20-30 yrs ago my husband could fix virtually anything that went wrong on our cars---changing out the motor, clutch plate/flywheel, anything. He grew up helping his Dad work on cars, and then fixing up his own. Kind of funny--when we bought our stripped 2004 Camry, it had power windows and doors, and he griped that it was more stuff that could break on the car.

He's the high tech fan, but all this technology on the cars kind of bugs him. He loves his smartphone, always has the latest computer, etc. But I think he misses being able to fix our cars.

I'm so low-tech that I'm still learning all the MFT stuff a month later. It is intimidating, and I pray it works out. This was an expensive car for us.

All is not lost. We saved my 1995 Wrangler 5 speed, and we're teaching our 16 yr old how to drive on it. We figure by the time she masters the clutch, she'll be a good driver. On the flip side, we'll need a new clutch, LOL!!

Anyway, I really do wish there were manual backups for a lot of this technology. You mentioned an excellent example, being the a/c and heat. The base model Explorer did seem to have less technology, and I liked that, but wanted nicer upholstery etc, so chose the XLT.

That's kinda the point, the technology that's in MFT shouldn't require the average user to take a month to adapt. Look at the Apple Ipad and watch the video's of very young children figuring out how easy it is to use. Of course their ability is very rudimentary but its a reflection of just how easy the interface is and how intuitive it is.

That's what MFT should be.

Next little while will be very interesting in the automotive technology world with CarPlay by Apple and Google now in the game as well.

I'm still trying to figure out the flashing 12:00 on my Beta VCR. :D

Peter

I'm still trying to figure out the flashing 12:00 on my Beta VCR. :D

Peter

Are you my long lost brother?

I'm always so old school. Take the family to baseball games, theme parks, library. I have a flip phone; it's a useful punishment when I repo our 16 yr olds' phone. When she gripes, I give her my flip phone. Apparently that's quite the punishment. Worse than no phone at all---who knew? My goal this summer is for our 16 yr old to teach me texting, LOL!!

Because I know my low tech ways are a drawback, I deliberately chose a vehicle that was very tech savvy. I love American cars, and have always wanted an Explorer. This is a huge leap for me, and I hope everything works out. If it doesn't I still have my 95 Wrangler as my backup. It makes DH crazy, because it was a blend of metric and English fixtures. But it runs like no ones business. 199 miles and still original motor and clutch. Love that car!!

The problem with computer glitches bringing down systems in your car has been a threat for far longer than MFT or any of these 'info-tainment' systems have been around. With the demise of mechanical buttons and switches, the computer was given control of your car. All that 'real' buttons and switches are these days are input signal generators that the car's computer reads. You press that A/C on/off button and you aren't turning the A/C on or off, you are sending an input signal to a computer to interpret what button was pressed and in what way, then figuring out what the output should be, and then finally sending the command to the appropriate device. Voila! It is all magic. The only difference from that and what MFT does is that the older systems were built on very simple logic that was pretty tough to screw up, and pretty easy to debug. The only thing all this 'advancement' has done is to simply make the systems much more powerful, capable, and unfortunately much more vulnerable to error.

Well said Vince.:thumbsup:

Peter

The problem with computer glitches bringing down systems in your car has been a threat for far longer than MFT or any of these 'info-tainment' systems have been around. With the demise of mechanical buttons and switches, the computer was given control of your car. All that 'real' buttons and switches are these days are input signal generators that the car's computer reads. You press that A/C on/off button and you aren't turning the A/C on or off, you are sending an input signal to a computer to interpret what button was pressed and in what way, then figuring out what the output should be, and then finally sending the command to the appropriate device. Voila! It is all magic. The only difference from that and what MFT does is that the older systems were built on very simple logic that was pretty tough to screw up, and pretty easy to debug. The only thing all this 'advancement' has done is to simply make the systems much more powerful, capable, and unfortunately much more vulnerable to error.

Exactly, and that message system between switches and computer modules is called CANBUS. Moving the knob or switch sends the message down the system and that message is read and then the request is pushed to the right module.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might as well throw this into the mix:

Google's new Android Autos OS unveiled, will be in cars this year - Autoblog.com

From the article:

"The technology is nearly as impressive as the roster of manufacturers Google has already enlisted to offer the system. Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler are on board, as are Honda, Hyundai, Nissan and Volkswagen."

Is there a platform out there that Ford hasn't signed on to support?

Back