Bleed/Burp cooling system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bleed/Burp cooling system?

Rangerman1987

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I am going to install a new thermostat. With a closed system is it necessary to bleed/burp after install and if so how? I have read conflicting info on this being necessary and cannot find any info on how to bleed/burp a sealed system?
Any help would be appreciated.
Rangerman

I am going to install a new thermostat. With a closed system is it necessary to bleed/burp after install and if so how? I have read conflicting info on this being necessary and cannot find any info on how to bleed/burp a sealed system?
Any help would be appreciated.
Rangerman

After you change the t-stat, top off the expansion tank/radiator with new coolant 50/50 mix is generally the norm. Now start the engine and set the heater to hot and the fan speed to high and let idle to warm up. Once the new t-stat reaches it's "open" temp, the fluid level in the expansion tank should drop a little and you should have room to add some more fluid. Once that happens, put the expansion tank cap back on and start squeezing (carefully-wear gloves, watch for moving parts) the upper radiator hose to help "burp" the cooling system of any air pockets. If there is any air in the system, you should see air bubbles rising up in the expansion tank. In between doing this, check to see if you are getting hot air from the heater vents. If you get hot air from the heater you are done, but if you are still getting cold air from the heater and the expansion tank/cooling system is full of coolant, take it for a short drive leaving the heater settings where they are. The drive may also help rid the system of any air pockets, it did on my vehicle. Once okay with the heat, let it sit overnight and check the expansion tank in the morning after it cools down and see where the level is at. Add more if necessary.

Exproblems, thanks for the information. Sounds easy enough.
Much appreciated.
Rangerman

Back