• Register Today It's free!

Bleeding ABS brakes?

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Is there any special trick or procedure required to bleed the brakes on a 98 Sport 4WD--it's has ABS brakes, and I read somewhere that you need a special tool to get all of the air out of an ABS System.
Is this right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the air out with normal bleeding procedures. I just did a brake job on my 1996 and had to remove a rear caliper to get the damn pads out. Several ounces drained out while i fiddled with it. I bled with a helper pushing and releasing the pedal while I opened and closed the bleed screw. I've got a nice firm pedal with no more pedal travel than before which tells me I got all the air out.

I did some research on ABS bleeding while planning for a brake fluid change.

The brakes evidently can be bled normally as long as you don't get air in the HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit) which shouldn't happen.

If the HCU is replaced or air is introduced a special tool is required to properly bleed the HCU.

"The brake master cylinder and Hydraulic Control Unit must be bled using Anti-lock Brake Adapter T90P-50-ALA and Jumper T93T-50-ALA. If this procedure is not followed, air will be trapped in the HCU which eventually leads to a spongy brake pedal."

Where is the HCU? How would one get air into it?

Fred,

Mine (a '95XLT) is mounted in the engine compartment between the fuse box and the battery. You can trace the lines from the master cylinder. It has an electric motor (black) and the hydraulic portion (silver). Haynes has a clear picture.

Air would get in if the lines were disconnected (which I don't think you plan to do) or, I suspect, by letting the master cylinder run dry during normal bleeding.

I think the bottom line is just keep the master cylinder well supplied with fluid during normal bleeding and you shouldn't have any problem.

Rich

how do you blled the abs (HCU) on a 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4??

Thanks for any assistance

I've got a broken brake line over my axle i need to replace, it has leaked fluid since i had to drive the rest of the way home (i knew there was something wrong but my brakes still worked as i was within blocks from home, i don't make a practice of driving unsafe cars around) there is still fluid in the master cylinder but it is low, does anyone know if I should be able to bleed this without problems from the HCU

If you did not drain the master cylinder completely, there shouldn't be any air in the HCU.
If you did get air into it, (you really have to run it dry) it does require a specialty tool to cycle the solenoids to get the air out.
I have gone as far as swapping out the whole rear axle without draining the master cylinder all the way down. If the line you are replacing is the rear axle cross over line, I suggest getting a bolt with the same threads as the brakeline. When you remove the crossover line from the block on the drivers side, you can thread that bolt into the junction block while you remove/bend/install the new brakeline. That will stop the master cylinder from draining all the way.

where can I buy this special tool T90-50-ALA and adapterT937-50-ALA change= ANTI BRAKE (Bleeder Box) T90P-50-ALA and adapter-T93T-50-ALA

where can i buy this special tool t90-50-ala and adaptert937-50-ala
for a 1996 ford explorer all wheel drive to bleed the abs breaks change= Anti Brake(Bleeder Box) T90P-50-ALA and Brake adapter T93T-50-ALA

At a loss, in need of help!

I have been having this issue with my explorer. I have a 93 4x4 that has had a weak break pedal since I bought it about 2years ago. About a month ago I finally got around too replacing the master cylinder hoping too resolve my issue. After doing so the truck has no breaks. With the key off it builds a minimal amount of pressure, but when running goes straight too the floor. The rear breaks barely work and the fronts don't work at all. I have been chasing a break problem ever since. I have replaced the master cylinder 3 times, got 2 new calipers, re-adjusted the rear shoes and bled everything multiple times. I came to the conclusion that there was air trapped in the ABS hydraulic unit (HCU). I read somewhere online that it needed too be taken too ford too be electronically bled if air gets inside. But when I brought it too the dealer they said that an anti-lock break adapter (T90P-50-ALA) and a Jumper (T93T-50-ALA) were necessary too bleed the ABS unit, but both my ABS unit and both tools needed too bleed it are obsolete and that they can't even get ahold of them. This it my last hope of fixing my breaks. If anyone has any information on how too fix this issues of how and where I can acquire those tools would be much appreciated
-Joe

Back