Block Heater/A/F just mumbling

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
I have a block heater in my Mountaineer, and since I am spoiled, I use it all the time....nice to have instant heat and defrost the windows immediatly...

Well anyways, at the start, the A/f is always 14.7ish, but I forgot to plug the heater in the other night,and it took several miles to get it from a a/f of 12ish.

I was amazed that the block heater was able me to go into closed loop so quickly....but makes sense. Not only is it making my interior comfortable, my gas mileage doesn't drop in the winter as much as it would w/o the heater.

just babbling of an observation I made....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting observation. Makes sense, but it is always good to have numbers to know for sure. What are you using to read you A/F ratio?

What kind of block heater do you have, lower radiator hose or freeze plug....how many times have you forgot to pull the plug before driving off...just kiddin'.......

Bill:salute:

Freeze plug heater....and yes, there has been times I forgot to unplug it :eek:

The heater is enough to keep the hood temps up....popped the hood the other day when it was plugged in all day and there was noticeable heat throughout the engine compartment. You would think it would also keep the battery heathier too.

Back