• Register Today It's free!

Body lift Qs

Cockatoo

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4x4
hi all. i got a few uestions and my search botton wont work for some odd reason.
1. what is a good 3" body lift kit? does performance industries make one and how much is it?
2. waht fabrication is needed to put it on the 98 explorer 4x4 assuming its gonna be a ranger lift kit.
3. is it easy to install, i did a 3 inch body lift on a dodge ram, should be about the same right?
4. does it have bumper brackets?

and 5. what size tires can i fit with the 3 inch body lift? without trimming or rolling the fenders at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahaha those are the 5 most asked questions on this board.. answeres EVERYWHERE!! use the search button. The lift you want would be part number PA-883 from performance accessories. do some reSEARCH and youll find more information that you could possibly imagine, heres some to get you started:

he just got done with his, some info there:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133930&highlight=body+lift

max tire sizes:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67200&highlight=body+lift

IMO...save your money for a real lift. Especially if your ever going to do any serious offroading. BL's aren't safe and not to mention they look like a$$. First, it leaves a big gap between your frame and the body for all to see. Second, it's a PITA because you have to deal with cheezy radiator brackets, shift extender, weak bumper brakets, and a steering extention which has a tendency to come lose and cause horrible steering wheel vibration. Oh, and you'll need to extend your e-brake with the 3" or just plan on not using it. For a few hundred more dollars you could have a decent suspension lift. Or if you just want to step up in tire size...you can still go cheap with TT up front and f150 spacers,... shackles and AAL in the rear. If your truck is strickly disco and will never see dirt then by all means go with the PA body lift. My only rec would be ditch the bumper brackets (they aren't meant to support anything) the first time you get hit or hit something your bumpers will basically fall off. Instead, once your done with the BL take your truck down and have the bumpers welded on for 25-30 bucks. At least then your bumpers will serve the purpose they are meant to, and this will also eliminate some of the visability of the now 3" gap between your frame and body.
Honestly, explore all your options before going with a body lift. I know more guys who have removed them...then guys who have put them on...myself included! Good Luck...

prozachappy said:
IMO...save your money for a real lift. Especially if your ever going to do any serious offroading. BL's aren't safe and not to mention they look like a$$. First, it leaves a big gap between your frame and the body for all to see. Second, it's a PITA because you have to deal with cheezy radiator brackets, shift extender, weak bumper brakets, and a steering extention which has a tendency to come lose and cause horrible steering wheel vibration. Oh, and you'll need to extend your e-brake with the 3" or just plan on not using it. For a few hundred more dollars you could have a decent suspension lift. Or if you just want to step up in tire size...you can still go cheap with TT up front and f150 spacers,... shackles and AAL in the rear. If your truck is strickly disco and will never see dirt then by all means go with the PA body lift. My only rec would be ditch the bumper brackets (they aren't meant to support anything) the first time you get hit or hit something your bumpers will basically fall off. Instead, once your done with the BL take your truck down and have the bumpers welded on for 25-30 bucks. At least then your bumpers will serve the purpose they are meant to, and this will also eliminate some of the visability of the now 3" gap between your frame and body.
Honestly, explore all your options before going with a body lift. I know more guys who have removed them...then guys who have put them on...myself included! Good Luck...

He has a 98. No F150 spacers. Your bumpers will not fall off. A suspenion lift is only about $1050 more than a body lift. Body lifts are a PITA to install. Suspension lifts are a PITA to install. The body lift isn't any less safe than a suspension lift.

I'll be taking my BL out because 1) a suspension lift does look better 2) a suspension lift raises the under carriage higher from the ground, and 3) the BL makes my steering shaft come in contact with my headers.

i got a 3Bl on my x dont do any serious offroading by no means and the gap filling is no hassle at all just go to the yard and find a truck with a rubber bed mat and cut and rivit it in place. I have no complaints with the BL expect the damn bumper brackets :fire:

your right, a-armed suspensions don't have coils, that should have read TT or spacer up front...I missed the 98 part.

The body lift isn't any less safe than a suspension lift.

First, your kidding right :confused: So replacing your grade 8 factor body bolts with a much weaker tensile and yield strength bolt is safe? Not to mention separating your body from the frame of your vehicle? You have obviously never seen a vehicle with a body lift after it has been hit in an accident. Most fab, off-road, and suspension companies won't go near a vehicle with a BL on it due to the liability issues. I could list a number of problems associated with BL's but why? Just call up any reputable company and ask them.
Second, those soft...thin...bumper brackets do not by any means replace the strength of your bumper being bolted to the frame in its original position. It takes very little pressure for those cheap bumper brackets to bend and shear off. Your bumpers are there to absorb and protect the vehicle from impact, neither of which those flimsy brackets can do. Like I said earlier if your going to go with a BL at least have your bumpers welded to the frame instead of using brackets.
Third, I can think of a number of companies that offer basic suspension lifts for the second gen for around $600.

a suspension lift raises the under carriage higher from the ground
The only way to get more ground clearance is to increase your tire size...and this is the only way. Hence the reason for lifts,.. to accommodate larger tires. There are plenty of other benefits to a suspension lift as well. You get the added strengths with upgraded suspension components, and greater flex and off-road mobility. Much stronger and much safer than a BL.

Yes...BL's are quite a bit cheaper than a suspension lift, but are cheaper components really what you want when it comes to the performance, handling, and safety of your truck?
These are just the facts plain and simple there was no need for you to get offended. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I was just trying to explain the benefits to waiting and or saving for a suspension lift.

this is what can happen with a 3" PA bodylift
BL.jpg

this guy was lucky to walk away! The body completely separated from the frame upon impact. His 3" PA body lift bolts snapped in two.
If you'd like to read the thread on this accident I'm sure I can find it.

i dont see how changing the center of gravity in any then stock can be safe?

Back