• Register Today It's free!

Body lift question

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I want to lift my 93 2dr Eddie Bauer. I was thinking like 2 or 3 inches since that seems about normal and i can get a kit for around 65-100 dollars. The only question i have about it is. I just bought new tires. They are the stock size, 235/75/15. Would a body lift not be a good idea with this size tire. i know people usually put body lifts on so they can use larger tires but i don't plan on buying new tires since i just got the new one's on a month ago. Thanks. Also with a body lift, are there any other modifications you need to make? Shocks, springs, etc?? Thanks again

Stephen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, My best friend has a 92 EB 2dr. He put a 3" body lift on it. And had 30 9.5 r15 on his truck. After the lift was installed it looked kinda poor till he got at lease 32 11 r15. With stock size tires it would be even worse. And If I am correct it cost about $150 for him to get the kit installed.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
Dead Link Removed

my site has moved AGAIN!!!!

You can get a kit for under $100 and I don't think it would look too bad, but it would look better with some bigger tires (maybe you could trade them in). As far as other mods, everything should fit, but don't be too surprised if you have to extend a wire or break line that is connected to the body and the frame or suspension. I think most people have installed them without having to extend anything, but I can't tell you from personal experience.

------------------
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
-Ralph Wiggum

Does the body lift put any unecessary strain on shocks, drivetrain, bushings or anything else? I am planning on putting one on by the end of the summer and need new shocks now, Wold some Rancho RS9000's help out? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Ryan Kelso
93 Explorer Sport 4x4
K&N Drop In
ProComp Pro Runner Light Bar
Stull Billet Grille
2 Hella 500's
Blue Opta Fogs
GTS Blackouts
Kenwood and Kicker Stereo

cowboyz1659@hotmail.com

I install a body lift about a month or so it was 3". I got my kit through 4x4 Performace Accesories. I paid 69.00 for the lift and 10.00 to ship. My brother and I installed it in about 8 hours or so. This was our first one to do. If you don't have a good selection of air tools or a torch (to heat bolds up) I would have someone else do it for you. I like mine very well. I am currently running 235/75/r15 on my truck and am planning on getting 33 12.50 soon. If you have anything else to ask I will answer the best I can.

Eric

------------------
I would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

The first thing I noticed after installing a 2 inch body lift was the body roll I experienced. With 31" All Terrains on the stock Ranger 15x7" rims, once I hit a corner, the body would lean way over to its side. This made the truck feel like it could tip at any time. Once I bolted on a set of A/E 589 rims in a 15x8" size (3 1/2" offset), this cured everything. I also am now running 32x11.5" Swampers.
If you are planning a body lift, I would install polyurethane body bushings on the cab. This along with 9000's and a set of aftermarket rims should make for a good combination.

------------------
-----------------------
-Ken '94 Ranger XLT 4.0l w/K&N, 2" Perf. Accessories Body Lift, 2.5" Rancho Susp., 32" TSL-SX's

I installed the 3" PA body lift about a year ago. After I installed it the first thing I noticed was the steering wheel binding. Turns out that the angles between the firewall(connected to the body) and the sterring box(connected to the frame) were too much for the stock steering shaft. Thwere are two fixes for this. One is to get a new steering shaft from flaming riverer with u-joint type linkage at about $250. My choice, which would be good for you since you plan on running smaller tires was to go with less lift. Since I already had the 3" lift, I just used a hack saw to cut the nylon lift blocks in half to 1.5". This was after I called PA and found out that this problem is common on the Explorers with their 3" lifts but is not there with the 2" lifts.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5 BFG KO's, Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

Has anyone installed a body lift on a '95 yet? Which Kit? Can I use the ?-'96 F150 Kit?
Also, shouldn't you install a shift extender too? (I know Dic Cepek makes them)

LiveOakPrk@Mobsters.com

------------------
'95 4x4 2dr
31x10.5x15's on 15x7's
K&N

Nate,
ORW(Off ROad Warehouse)in San Diego put a 91-94 3" body lift on my '95 with some modifications. I've had it for about two years now without any problems. I don't know how much this helps you cause you're in Idaho, but here's the # if you wanna ask them questions.
(858)565-7792

SDMIKE

SDMike,

Figures that 2 years after I leave Camp Pendleton, I get into Explorers! I'd've done it there if I'd known. Thanx, I'll give 'em a call.

Nate

------------------
'95 4x4 2dr
31x10.5x15's on 15x7's
K&N

I installed the PA 2" kit myself and it was a piece of cake. I didn't even have to extend the shifter. I just used an aftermarket boot. What I liked most about the B/L is the fact that I could use a cheap(180 bucks) 3 inch suspension lift w/ the B/L to fit the 33-12.50s that all the big boys w/ the 5.5 Superlift fit for about 1/4th the price.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

I as well am about to install my self a body lift...Now I'm not sure which brand I will choose, but I'm gonna do it myself...I've got an auto tranny and an electronic trasfer case....Does anything need to be extended on the for the tranny? Any imput to which brand is the best for ease of use and instalation...I hope to not run into any steering problems that Mac had, any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Pete.

------------------
91 Sport 4x4
31x10.5-15 BFG All-Terrain's
4 inch Sky Jackerlift
Warn Manual Hubs

I too am about to install a 3" body lift and was wondering if I would have a steering problem like mac said. I have a 92' automatic, so I don't have to worry about the shifter. However I think I've read somewhere about an extended shaft (or something like that), but it wasn't so much like the 250 bucks that Mac said. Who has upgraded their steering after the lift and with what?

Thanks in advance,
RObert

Back