• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift

NudieWin

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer
I just wanna start by saying save me from myself! Since I've joined this site all my money goes into my explorer haha, thats a good thing though. So NOW my question is does anybody have step by step instructions possibly with pictures on how to do a body lift. The way I thought looked easiest is with this add a leaf kit? http://www.fatbobsgarage.com/cart/p...rer_3_Complete_Lift_Kit_1995_2007-447-22.html

Im looking to just lift a little I dont need to go 6 inches or anything im just looking for 2 or 3 something cheap like 200 or less any suggestions?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That kit, which is comprised of an add-a-leaf for the back springs and a set of torsion keys for the front, is not a body lift -- but a suspension lift.

If you're going with that kit and you have a 4wd, be careful because the CV axle shafts on the front are going to die prematurely with 3" of angular lift (from the torsion bars).

This is what that kit includes
fbg-101050-13120.jpg

While a body lift kit will look more like this:
pra-pa-102note.jpg

this is where my new mechanicalism or whatever comes out...never done it before but so for im batting perfect on the jobs I have performed blindly with everyones help.

That kit, which is comprised of an add-a-leaf for the back springs and a set of torsion keys for the front, is not a body lift -- but a suspension lift.

If you're going with that kit and you have a 4wd, be careful because the CV axle shafts on the front are going to die prematurely with 3" of angular lift (from the torsion bars).

So will it only die prematurely if I have it in 4 wheel drive alot? Or is it just going to die just because...and which way is easier the body lift or the suspension lift? I just want a little bit to lift my running boards off the ground a little.

and my last question is, is it ok to do the add a leaf and not raise the front up as much if at all?

So will it only die prematurely if I have it in 4 wheel drive alot? Or is it just going to die just because...
It will die even if you're not in 4wd. The problem is that all joints, CV axle shafts included, all have a limit and the this type of lift pushes the CVs ever closer to that limit.

which way is easier the body lift or the suspension lift? I just want a little bit to lift my running boards off the ground a little.
A body lift is technically "easier" although that kit is probably just as easy to to do. My suggestion, look into the "torsion twist" (aka "TT" on the forum) for the front and an extended shackle for the rear. The TT at the front is free (you just torque down two bolts), and have some camber adjuster bolts put on. The extended shackle will run you ~$70.

WAR-153 shackle: http://ford4x4accessories.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=244

is it ok to do the add a leaf and not raise the front up as much if at all?
Yes but the vehicle will be nosed down.

Back