• Register Today It's free!

Body lift

Alex R

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
I'm considering installing a body lift, but have some questions.

1) Will a 3 inch body lift allow for 31" tires on stock rims?

2) For those who have installed the body lift themselves, how difficult was the install? How ling did it take?

3) Those who have a body lift: is there anything thaaat you don't like about the lift.

hey i dont know about 2 and 3, but yes you can run 31'' with a 3'' body lift. a lot of people run 32, and 33''s with a 3'' body lift. some people can even fit 31's on their stock explorer.

I don't have a body lift but I now I wouldn't like not increasing the front suspension travel. Body lifts are good if you need a little bit of extra clearance, but I wouldn't reccomend them. Especially the 3". It is a LOT of work to do. A suspension lift will increase your travel which is very miniscule in the front.

Anyway, you could probably fit 31's rigt now. With a 2" body lift maybe 32's and with 3 inch withs shackles and spacers definatley 33's.

I ran 31x10.5 BFG M/T on my stock explorer. Since I put in my 3" body lift I now run 32x12.5 with minimal rub on the right side in a tight turn on a downgrade. As for the lift it's not bad, just make sure you follow the instructions closely. If it says do drivers side first then do it first. I did just the opposite and and ruptured an o ring or something in the power steering pump. Only bad part about the lift was the 2 front body mounts, had to cut one bolt out. Myself and one buddy did it in about 8 hours and a 12pack with dinner break.

Back