Body lift anyone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body lift anyone?

bgracen

Reaction score
What company makes a complete body lift for the explorer. By complete I mean all necessary hardware and both bumper relocation brackets. I'm looking for a three inch body lift. Also, If I have 31's on a stock 94 sport, and I add a 3" body lift, would 33x10.50x15's fit? thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the trailmaster lift kit , for my truck and it has the complete kit. All kits will be the complete kits most of the time.

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
Surco 45x60 safari rack
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com
http://msnhomepages.talkcity/BoxStreatBlvd/mrjones98e/

bgracen, what gears do you have in your explorer that you plan to run the 33's on?

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop,in Modified air box. 3" lift 31x10.5's
Dunlop R/v's. Sway bar quick disc.http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/91fordexplorer/index.html

Mr 91ExplorerEB.
I'm currently running 3.55 gears on 31's, its a little doggy, but it works. due to the fact that my engine is a little tired (189k) and I do a lot of towing I will be running 4:56 gears, although I believe 4.10's would work for close to stock performance. While I've got the pigs out I'll probably be installing ARB air lockers front and rear. I hope this helps.

I used a performance accessories 3" kit. It worked fine but the rear bumper brackets didn't work. I fabbed my own out of 1/8" steel which is ALOT stronger than the ones that came in the kit, so I can tow with the bumper hitch still. It took me and my brother the better part of a day to get it all put on. The hardest part was taking out the old body bolts which were rusted and VERY hard to turn. (thank god for air tools!) Good luck with the lift!

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT
Many Mods
To see some pics and to get a full list
of mods I have made to my explorer check out:
Dead Link Removed
swankmi@efortress.com

Is there any concensus at to which 4" lift is best (Rancho, SkyJacker, Superlift, Trailmaster, FabTech...)?

Any other reason to consider a 5.5" or 6" lift as opposed to the 4"?

I am leaning toward a 4" lift myself this summer so any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

bgracen,
I have a 94xlt and have the Performance Acessories 3" body lift, here is my experience:
As others have stated the rusted bolts will give you trouble and the two from mounts will have to be drilled to a larger diameter (I had to drill out the old bolts that broke off anyways)
Neither the front or rear bumper brackets functioned normally, I had to notch the rear bumper and use different bolts, the front brackets had to be modified as well, the hole patterns do not match at all, the fan shroud relocation bracket works but it too was nearly unusable and the clincher is the steering joint extender. Be prepared for binding steering with this hunk o junk, I ended up ordering an after market slip shaft from Flaming River which brought the grand total to a little over $300 bucks for the lift, the shaft, shipping costs and associated headaches.
My advice? From what Ive heard about it, I should have thrown down another $150 or so and got the James Duff 2.5" suspension lift.
Just my $.02
Doug
94xlt
Oh yeah, some of the wiring under the hood is stretched to the max w/ a 3" body lift.

bgracen,

Rough Country makes a complete 2" & 3" kit for the Explorer. www.roughcountry.com Davie at the tech line was really helpful. I'm going to do the 2" in a month or so.

Best regards.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd
www.grimmick.com
hank@grimmick.com

Back