Body mounts

Ryan1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Can you guys recommend where you buy some poly body mounts, besides 4 wheel parts and James duff.

thanks
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are the daystar ones poly ??

i know on the flexplorers website they are liek a dealer or somthing and i think you can buy them from them

jstu a suggestion

PEACE

Thanks, but they dont offer the body mounts for the explorers.

and they also have a 4 to 5 week waiting period before they ship your product out.

Ryan

Why not get them from the 2 places you mentioned? Too expensive or something? I'm thinking of replacing my body mounts this summer so I'm interested.

Ryan,
I had talked to Hank about Daystar mounts, and they do have them, it was a good price at the time, I would e-mail him and find out, I doubt it would take that long, but it does take about a week usually, if you are trying to get them before Friday, then 4 wheel parts would be the way to go.

Byrd, I'm just checking all the options, 4wheel parts has a good price....I just want to make sure Im not missing anything.

X-1, Thanks for the info, I will email hank

Ryan

Hey guys,

I just got done with a James Duff 2" kit - which was installed with a SkyJacker 4" Suspension Lift.

During the 2" Body Lift process, I deciced that I should replace the body mount bushings at the same time. Only problem was that removing the original busings was a frustrating (and 'brute force') process. The new poly bushings will make the truck ride a little 'stiffer' than the factory original 'rubber' bushings.

The two kits from James Duff were pretty good - but getting the original bushings out of the '91 XLT was a real pain in the ass. I ended up using a combination of impact wrench, acyteline torch, box wrench, breaker bar. pry bar, and cutting wheel to get the job done.

Be careful with the mount that sits next to the gas tank (on the driver side) - you need to squeeze the 1" wrench onto the nut w/ very *little* clearance. Use the frame-rail to 'brace' the wrench.

It's a two-man job. Don't punish yourself by trying to do this alone. :>)

For those who are interested, here are the hardware sizes:
The "under" side of each body-mount is a 1" square nut. The "upper" side of each mount is a 17mm, 18mm, or 19mm bolt - depending on which mount you are working on.

If you don't have a 1" open end wrench - forget about it. Crescent wrenches just won't handle the torque that you're going to apply.

Some people will tell you that you can do a body lift without removing the interior. Bullshit. Take the time to do it right - remove the seats & carpet and have them professionall cleaned. Install "Dynamat" (sound deadener) while you have the chance. It's $200 well spent!

Plan to spend an entire weekend (not just 5-8 hours) doing the body lift PROPERLY.

After the body lift is done, I should have enough clearance to drop the 5.0L engine and run a set of 35x12 tires (on 10"x15" rims).

Hope this helps,
Graham

Thanks you for the great info....how much more quiet is your vehicle with the dynamat?

Ryan

Back