• Register Today It's free!

Body Mounts: Rubber vs. Poly

DOGMAN

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I am going to be installing a 2" body lift on my 91 4dr. I am also going to replace the original rubber body mounts, since they are almost ten years old and have seen many miles (230K).

I would like to know opinions of either using the stock rubber ones again or going with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension, James Duff, etc.

I would assume that the poly mounts would allow less body roll, but are they too harsh on the street or trail? Do they squeak? I would like to hear thoughts on advantages and disadvantages of poly. And if choice would be poly, which brand?

Also, it is my understanding that the only 2" body lift kit that is available for my year Explorer is made by Performance Accessories (kit # 792). Is this correct?

With the 2" kit, I should NOT have to do anything to the steering. Is this correct? Does that mean I will NOT have to use the supplied steering extension? I think this is what everyone has said, just making sure.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to flex your truck on the trail I wouldn't reccoment the poly. Too stiff. The Explorer's one piece body wants to flex a lot, but it can't, if you restrict the movement with poly you will end up with cracks in your sheet metal like I did.

Remember, the Explorer is on the same frame as the Ranger, but the Rangers body is in two pieces, the cab and the bed. They can flex independently of each other and the body doesn't have to accept as much loading as it does with the Explorer.

James Duff is the only company that makes poly body mounts for explorers. Energy makes poly body mounts, just not for the explorers. If you cover the bushings in grease before you put them in, then they shouldn't squeek, but if you don't you may get some squeeking. Ric just told you the advantages/disadvantages of poly, so I will skip that one.

About the body lift, I know they make a 2" for yours, not sure on the kit#, but to double check, you can go to http://www.performanceaccessories.com and find what kit number it is. I have a 3" kit and I didn't have to do anything with the steering, so you should be fine. But, unlike what I did, you may want to undo the bolt holding the steering shaft just so it will slide better when lifting. I couldn't get it undone so I just jacked up the truck and it made horrible popping sounds, but I later found out it was the steering shaft sliding out. If you douse it with some WD-40 it shouldn't be hard.

Thanks Rick, that's what I thought, just making sure. I'll go with the OEM rubber mounts. I appreciate your help.

Rock, thanks for your info and the install tip about loosening the steering shaft. That makes sense.

The main reason for the 2" body lift is for more clearance for my new motor and transmission, and possibly an Atlas II down the road. Another benefit will be room to mount 35's.

Thanks again guys. Your experience is a great help.

You will definately have more room for a new (I am guessing bigger) tranny and engine. After I did the lift I saw how much more room there is to work on things. I actually want to change the spark plugs because when you look through the wheel well you can see them right there instead of having to take the tire off and scraping the crap outta my hand trying to get to those back 2 plugson the pass side. OH well, good luck with everything.

Back