adamsbro2

Bryan
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Twin falls, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
So I have a question.......my favorite explorer body style is the 3rd gen.....I just think it's a sweet looking ride....but the drive train was a pile.....so what are people's thoughts on swapping a third gen body onto a 1st gen frame? How hard do you think it would be? I think the hardest part would be the instrument cluster and heater stuff.....any thoughts? I know people will say just buy a third gen and swap all the drive train out and yes that would probably be easier but this is kind of just a conversation starter so let's talk about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My thinking is that it would be much harder than its worth. Stranger things have been done, though! It all comes down to how much time, money, and fab work you are willing to put into it.

As far as the mounting points are concerned, I think the front two are the only different ones, ( i think they are about 3 i ches different) requiring you to keep the radiator from the 1st gen, the main issues you will run into are going to be wiring related. On the bright side, the 1st gen frame will be easier to put a v8 into (if you're into that kinda thing! :p) all in all, it shouldn't be TOO dificult, it will just require a lot of research, and a lot of wrenching! Good luck with it, though, and keep us posted on your progress!

At the very least you are going to need to re-postion (weld) body mounts for the 3rd gen body onto the 1st gen frame, and of course reloacate anything else needed for the body to fit and everything to work.

The wiring will be pretty hard too, unless you just swap the gauges or the entire dash and electronics, or just go with a custom interior.

Biggest issue may be legality. The VIN is attached to the body so you'd actually be putting a 1st gen powertrain into and drivetrain under a 3rd gen Explorer. Not all states allow putting older engines (especially used) into newer vehicles.

You may not have an issue, but I would be sure to do it on the up and up. Sticking a 3rd gen body on there and then keeping it registered as a 1st gen with the 1st gen VIN number is going to cause some issues with the Feds.

One (easier) way of getting the look of a newer Explorer with a 1st gen is to get the fiberglass front and rear fenders in the body style you like, along with the headlights, taillights, and grille to go with it, then put all that on and you have the look without the hassle of swapping an entire body and interior over.

Back