4.6L v8 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6L v8 swap

Haarps88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
Hello I'm new to the forum.
I'm looking for info on doing a 4.6L v8 swap into my 1st gen explorer or if it's possible to put a 1st gen body onto a 3rd Gen frame. Curious to know if anyone has done this swap before I know the 302 v8 swap is common on the 1st gen. Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing to consider is the size of the engine. A 4.6L modular engine is one of the largest engines you could pick to put in it (much larger in size then 302's, or even big blocks) due to the overhead cams.

Second thing to consider is engine management, probably the easiest is to pull the wiring harness and computers out of a donor you get the engine from and then use them in your build.

Third is 4WD, make sure that you can find a transmission transfer case combo that bolts onto the engine.

Research research research, GL

It would be a nice swap to say you did something different. What benefit would you have from doing a 4.6l instead of a 5.0l (besides many more headaches) lol.

Put a cummins R2.8 turbo diesel in it!

The 1st gen ranger has the same engine bay as the explorer, I've seen a 2v stuffed in a 84 ranger with manual brakes, vacuum booster wouldn't clear the engine on his swap.

Not worth it. Build a 302. Better power, easier swap(more options) & less complex.
For the frame...isn't a 3rd gen unibody?

Thanks for the input but yeah I didn't think the 4.6 was such a large motor lol a diesel swap would be fun

Back