• Register Today It's free!

Bolt on mufflers?

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Hi, I'm looking to do an axle back exhaust, not wanting to do anything crazy. No need for obnoxious exhaust sounds but just enough to make a little noise and not be obnoxious at idle. Are the mufflers bolt on for the 2011-2015 model years Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility? I'm looking to do this to my PIU along side a cold air intake. I'm wanting to add on this exhaust. I really do not want to cut anything Incase I'd want to go back to stock exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure about the new ones but gibson on this SOHC sounded quite hollow, almost ups truck

I've seen the gibson axle-back mufflers about $100 cheaper than that. Summitracing has them for $529. Gibson Performance Exhaust 619693B Gibson Elite Black Series Split Rear Exhaust Systems | Summit Racing

I've thought about the gibson axle-back on mine since I can easily swap in my driveway & the brackets are there, but I just can't bring myself to spend $500-something on just a pair of mufflers with tips. Idk how loud the gibson would be, but anything you put on these seems to be raspy to some extent or another. Plenty of videos on youtube. As far as going back to stock, the stock exhaust is all one piece up to to the flange before flex pipe. You can keep your old mufflers around and just have them welded back on where you cut or make a sleeve and clamp it back together.

not sure about the new ones but gibson on this SOHC sounded quite hollow, almost ups truck
I've seen the gibson axle-back mufflers about $100 cheaper than that. Summitracing has them for $529. Gibson Performance Exhaust 619693B Gibson Elite Black Series Split Rear Exhaust Systems | Summit Racing

I've thought about the gibson axle-back on mine since I can easily swap in my driveway & the brackets are there, but I just can't bring myself to spend $500-something on just a pair of mufflers with tips. Idk how loud the gibson would be, but anything you put on these seems to be raspy to some extent or another. Plenty of videos on youtube. As far as going back to stock, the stock exhaust is all one piece up to to the flange before flex pipe. You can keep your old mufflers around and just have them welded back on where you cut or make a sleeve and clamp it back together.
Thanks for the replies, and very late to respond. Apologies. But I've looked into it I want to get some Gibson axle back mufflers with the black tips. So I do have to cut the old mufflers off and clamp on the new ones right?

Looks like you just have to measure & make a cut. I would recommend buying an exhaust cutter tool like this Amazon product ASIN B004FELJ20 or you can rent one from autozone/advanced.

Let us know how you like it if you go through with it

Looks like you just have to measure & make a cut. I would recommend buying an exhaust cutter tool like this Amazon product ASIN B004FELJ20 or you can rent one from autozone/advanced.

Let us know how you like it if you go through with it
Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted Gibson, they said that exhaust will not fit the PIU with the 3.7L engine. However, it'll fit my regular 3.5L Explorer. I'm not sure if the exhaust system is the same or not for other engine options. If it does fit still, I'll buy it and get it installed. I also like the black tips with this one, I was looking into those. The sound they make is probably the meanest an Explorer can make.

The 3.7 PIU is a true dual exhaust whereas the n/a 3.5 has a y-pipe to a singe pipe then t's off in the back. I believe both are 2.25" in diameter. I can't imagine there being too big of a difference with how the pipes run into the mufflers that it wouldn't work without some some finagling or minor modification. Since you have both why not take a picture underneath for side by side for comparison?

The 3.7 PIU is a true dual exhaust whereas the n/a 3.5 has a y-pipe to a singe pipe then t's off in the back. I believe both are 2.25" in diameter. I can't imagine there being too big of a difference with how the pipes run into the mufflers that it wouldn't work without some some finagling or minor modification. Since you have both why not take a picture underneath for side by side for comparison?
Can't necessarily do that, the Explorer lives in AZ, PIU lives in WA. If you can send a picture of your exhaust if it's the same 3.5L like the other one, that'd be great so I can compare.

Back