question on Mufflers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IF you want MPG's flowmaster is not the choice for you. You need a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Gibson. Flowmasters use internal baffels totune the muffler for sound. Baffels = restriction = less performance and less MPG's

While true for the most part, the difference in gas mileage/power between FM/Magnaflow/Gibson will be minimal in my opinion on a near stock 4.0. If we are talking about a 540 BBF with 13.5 compression built to rev to 7 grand, then we might see a difference.

The same goes for which series FM to get. Either series will be very close in gas mileage, the sound is what will change. I'd go with the 50 because the 44 will be hella loud and will get old/annoying over time. But if you like loud, then get the 44;)

Also, I doubt you'll see more than 1-2 mpg with an exhaust change. There will be a small gain and small power increase, but the butt-dyno will barely notice it. The biggest change for me was mid-high RPM pull was a little stronger(according to the butt-dyno). Now do the exhaust, CAI, efan and tune, you'll feel a difference there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd check out Goerlich Xlerator mufflers while you're at it. It's a straight through design that has a great rumble to it. They are fairly cheap as well. It's too bad they don't advertise more.

Thought I'd post up a video of my magnaflow exhaust, since this is an exhaust thread... I seem to get better fuel efficiency, but then again I have an intake and a full exhaust so I am seeing optimum gains. Camera distorts the sound a bit. :(
Here's my magnaflow 11226 muffler with 2.5" pipe.

While true for the most part, the difference in gas mileage/power between FM/Magnaflow/Gibson will be minimal in my opinion on a near stock 4.0. If we are talking about a 540 BBF with 13.5 compression built to rev to 7 grand, then we might see a difference.

The same goes for which series FM to get. Either series will be very close in gas mileage, the sound is what will change. I'd go with the 50 because the 44 will be hella loud and will get old/annoying over time. But if you like loud, then get the 44;)

Also, I doubt you'll see more than 1-2 mpg with an exhaust change. There will be a small gain and small power increase, but the butt-dyno will barely notice it. The biggest change for me was mid-high RPM pull was a little stronger(according to the butt-dyno). Now do the exhaust, CAI, efan and tune, you'll feel a difference there.

Noober here.

I have a 2000 XLT AWD v8. What sorts of suggestions would you make for nice rumbly exhaust (with improved mpg if possible) and cold air intake?

Also, what's efan? and do you do the tuning only after all these things installed? (noob)

Well tsantsa, from what i know the Flowmaster 44 is cheaper and has a great rumble. the MPG is unknown because my friend has one but he really likes going fast so his MPG isn't truthful lol. the air intake you can just take off your air box and grab a 25 dollar spectra intake thats what i did. cheap and it works well too. fits perfectly and its a cone with a filter all around.

Bought the muffler on ebay, 50 series and cant wait to get it on!!! it will sound amazing :D

make sure to post up a video!
Posted via Mobile Device

what kind is that? sounds nice :)

jtbuck92... How do you pass emissions without those emission items?

If its the no third cat then nevermind on the cat.

jtbuck92... How do you pass emissions without those emission items?

If its the no third cat then nevermind on the cat.

Ya, it's the third cat. No sensor behind the 3rd cat.

Gotta warn you, it's quite loud inside.

no muffler legal? ive herd others do it too... V8? that thing must be so loud!

no muffler legal? ive herd others do it too... V8? that thing must be so loud!

Not sure, but no cat isn't legal. I never have gotten in trouble with no muffler for. But down here in the South all you see is piped vehicles, so everybody's used to them. Quite a few of the vehicles down here have a couple or all of the cats missing.

wow yeah jersey is a bit different lol you get in trouble with a muffler just a bit to loud for some of these old cops! it sucks

wow yeah jersey is a bit different lol you get in trouble with a muffler just a bit to loud for some of these old cops! it sucks

Ya, well, welcome to the South. I don't know a person with a v8 that isn't piped (minus my parents).

ha yeah and they sound awesome too! and plus i am new to this whole thing, few years ill be pro at what is legal around here and not. hopefully not with self experience. lot less rules down there... you can do absolutely nothing in Jersey when it comes to cars or much else lol

okay she finaly came in!!!(ebay ppl suck even when its an auto parts store) putting on my FM 50 tomorrow!!!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Back