Borla cat-back and receiver hitch fit ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Borla cat-back and receiver hitch fit ???

wabbit

Reaction score
City, State
Western Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
the white one...
I have a "Valley" brand receiver hitch on my '91 XLT 4dr 4x4. I am looking to install a Borla cat-back system but I want to see if it will go in OK with the receiver hitch?
Also, my spare is a 31x10.5-15.
Any info on this will be appreciated as I plan on purchasing soon...
BTW: what's with the 2nd cat(?) on my factory exhaust? Does the Borla system install behind the first cat or behind cat jr.???
Thanks...

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking for some pics to see where the Borla pipe exits in the rear. It seems the fit issue will depend on whether the tailpipe exits inner or outer of the frame rail.
Any solid info on this???

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

I have a 93 xlt with a two hitch bar mounted to the frame. The borla attaches after the second cat and from there follows the stock path until you get to the back. I have never seen a tow bar wider then mine and the tip exits about an inch to the right on the bar....its a perfect fit! Since i have never seen a bar wider then mine I dont think anyone will have a problem. I dont know if I have explained this well, but the point is the exit is far enough to the right of the car that the tow bar/hitch is not in the way. Hope this helps! Dead Link Removed

Hey Wabbit,
I have a Borla and a receiver hitch on my '96 and they work together just fine. The Borla attaches to the (only) cat and exits outside the frame rail on the right side (passenger). I had to move the stock hanger nearest the rear from inside the frame rail to the outside but the holes were predrilled in the frame so it was easy.

My receiver hitch is a round tube type class III. It's contoured to the sahpe of my bumber so there's no interference with the Borla or my spare (225-70-16). It mounts to the frame just behind the upper shackles.

I'm not sure why or if you have two cats. Someone on this post will have an answer I'm sure. Good Luck!

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's
K&N w/drilled box, Bosch P+4's, Borla Cat-Back

jimiday@aol.com

Thanks Chav & Jimiday,
I now have the solid info, the 1/3 off carparts.com coupon, and the "need"... Dead Link Removed
It's a go!!
Just gotta figure out how to use the coupon for the fourth time!! I'm runnin out of new addresses to ship to. Hmmm... maybe dear 'ol grandma would like to become a new customer...
BTW: Anyone needing a valid 1/3 off coupon, I can E-mail it to you. wbacus@bwn.net

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Back