• Register Today It's free!

3 inch body lift question.

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
I plan/hope to put a 3 inch body lift on my ex, its a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4inch suspension lift already.

1) What all needs to be extended?
2) Will I be able to fit 35x12.5 on 15x8 rims?
3) How much gap does it leave (front and back if any)? - anyone have any pictures of the gap?
4) Do the gap fillers that are on sale at 4wheelparts (http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT43942.aspx) work/look good and has anyone used them (pics)?
5) Will I need gap fillers for the back or does that not get affected?
6) How much would it cost to have a shop install the body lift? I don't have the time to do it myself.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you wont have any gaps front or rear as long as you get a kit with the bumper extensions.. i wouldnt pay a shop to install it.. i installed a 3" bl on mine and then i did a friends and the first time i did it, we were done in less than 6 hours with normal hand tools..the 2nd time we used an air compressor and was done in around 4 hours..ull need a kit with a steering extension, emergency brake relocation kit, fan shroud drop down braket and i believe thats about it

This weekend i put on a 3" body lift for my 01 ST from 4wheelparts.com and it was pretty simple. Took saturday and all day sunday, but great directions just time consuming. it came with rear and front bumper extensions, and you can buy that gapguards if you dont want to see anything in the wheel well.

I run 35x12.5x15 BFG MT's with a 3" BL and a 4" suspension lift. I had to trim the rear of the front wheel well just a bit though. With the 35's you will want to regear to either 4:56 or 4:88(I run 4:88's and their great). For really tough wheeling I run a set of 35x14.5x15 BOGGERs............

if you get the right kit you will have no gap, they come with brackets for the front and rear bumper, now this makes the bumpers usless... not like stock ones have any use other than to put a plate on.

here is mine with just 3" body lift and 33's
I get no rub so far, I did trim about 2"at the bottom on the front fenders and about 5" up, cant even notice that they are cut just do it nice and use the right tools and tapper up . I started at 2"
DSCF5834.jpg

DSCF5833.jpg

DSCF5832.jpg

DSCF5831.jpg

SBJ420, this is off subject, but how do you have your tire secured on the roof rack, and does it cause any damage up there while you are wheeling?

SBJ420, this is off subject, but how do you have your tire secured on the roof rack, and does it cause any damage up there while you are wheeling?

hahaha funny you say that, right before that pic I took off the straps because it was hard on the roof, it was buckling so I took it off right away. Only was is to have a roof rack or like a safari rack up top, as far as I know anyways

Heres my X with a 4" suspension and a 3" BL...........
DSC00051.jpg

If your BL kit comes with the bumper brackets you really don't notice the gaps(they are still somewhat hidden on the rear, and the front usually has a tire stuffed in it). I had to do a little fender trimming on the fronts of mine, the back grab a little sometimes and I really use mine sometimes............
er-m04.jpg

Let us know how it goes.......:salute:

spring over in the rear?

Nope, just 4" superlift's. I had to weld some gussets on one of the front axle brackets, but other than that the Superlift has been great for me...........

Back