Borla cat-back as OEM replacement??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Borla cat-back as OEM replacement???

wabbit

Reaction score
City, State
Western Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
the white one...
While lying in my gravel driveway taking mental pictures of the undercarriage of my Explorer today, I... (Hey, it's really quite relaxing... Dead Link Removed ) I noted my muffler was due for replacement. Seeing a second muffler(?), that probably also needs replaced after 170,000 miles, I sensed a fairly expensive exhaust repair bill coming on.
If I'm gonna shell out for exhaust, why not go with the Borla cat-back (#14343) for my hard earned money???
This is what i need to Know:
1. Does this system simply bolt on with no welding required?
2. Does it replace both mufflers or?? What all is included?
3. Will it interfere with my spare, which is to be a 31x10.5-15?
And... 4. The sound. I love the sound of a well tuned system, but I'm not into dealing with a "highway drone". Will this system "mind it's manners" when driven conservatively?
Any info would be appreciated as I am looking to purchase soon.
BTW, I've priced this system at carparts.com for $242.81 + s/h with the 1/3 off coupon.
I can E-mail this coupon to anyone in need. Let me know. wbacus@bwn.net

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Wabbit, I had the Borla cat-back on my '92. The sound is great, but on the highway, you will definately hear it all the time. So basicly, if your looking for a great sound and don't mind the highway rumble noise (sounds like a V8), then yes get it. No welding!, just bolts on like so. As for your 31 inch spare I would make sure measure your stock tire (if you still have it) and measure the overall height. I think it should not be a problem, since the tip exit is out of the right part of the bumper. The stock exhaust does have a some tiny looking muffler after the main one, I think is just for reducing more sound before the tip. For that price for that Borla is definately is cheap!...I think i paid like around $350.00

Parts and labor could easily cost you that much. If you can install it yourself (no labor cost), then you definately should get the Borla Catback.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

I'm pretty much sold on it. Just need to make sure on the fit-up. I also have a "Valley" frame mount receiver hitch. It looks like if the exhaust exits outside of the passenger side frame rail, it will work fine...
Anyone with a 91-94 like mine have some solid info on this?

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Check out www.fordracing.com I just got a Borla Cat-back for my 96 Explorer for $145. I believe they are not going to be sell in Borla anymore so they are selling them for cheap. when you get to the site click on products (something like that) then go to hot deals. The price for mine was supposed to be $165 but when I picked it up at the local shop they only charged me $145. Only took about 30 mins. to install and sounds great.

------------------
96 Explorer w/Borla Cat-back and K&N Filter

97 Jeep TJ long List of Mods.

I checked out the ford racing site. Too bad the only ones they listed were for year models 95'- 98'. That is an excellent price!!
Any takers???
Thanks for the tip, I'm always looking for the best "bang for my buck". It's not that I spend any less... I just buy a lot more...

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

hey rtkul8, was your cat back really that cheap?!?! did you get everything(pipe, muffler, tip etc.)? how did you order it? what is a normal price for something like that?

------------------
doug moore
95 explorer
97 explorer
66 mustang

drmoore,
Go there...
He posted the link and general instructions on finding them there.
I checked it out but they weren't for my year model.
Looks like they will have what you need Dead Link Removed

------------------
'91 Explorer XLT 4WD

Wabbit:

If I were you, I'd prefer to weld it instead of just bolting it on. A thief can easily steal your Borla muffler if it was not welded.

Back