Brainstorming, exprerienced input wanted... lifted 5.0 with stick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brainstorming, exprerienced input wanted... lifted 5.0 with stick

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
hey guys, i'm looking for a little input... Here's the story... So initially I just had my 99 explorer which is the one described in my signature, then my parents gave me their fully loaded V8 98 to sell. But I have been trying to sell it for like 6 months now with no takers, I assume because the mileage is scary to people, but it runs too well and it's in too good of shape to drop the price even more(already $1500 below bluebook). So now I'm thinking I want to keep the 5.0 one way or another and my ultimate goal is to have a lifted and locked 5.0 with a 5 spd and a manual t-case.

I considered swapping the 5.0 into my already lifted and locked 99 and parting out the rest of the 98(anybody interested in "the rest"?), as well as the 99 drive train. However, as I started to think about it more, I'd hate to dismantle the perfectly good drivetrain thats already in my 99. So now I'm thinking I should just sell the already lifted 99 and just swap a manual tranny and t-case into the 98 and lift it the same way I did the 99. I assume converting the 98 to manual tranny, installing the lift, doing SOA, and installing the locker is probably much easier and less complicated(because i've done most of those things already) then doing an engine swap. Also as a bonus the body and frame on the 98 seems to be in better shape. Ofcourse I'm attached to the 99 though, which is what makes this a tough decision. Also something else to take into account is the 5.0 has 205K on it so I'm wondering if I'm going to need to pull it out soon anyway to do a rebuild on it.

Then my next thing to figure out is what there is for 4wd manual trannys to go behind the 302 in an explorer. I know some people have used a WC T5 mated to a 1354 but that adapter kit is hard to come by nowadays from what i hear. Another option i saw is some people install a NV3550 with a jeep transfer case. Any opinions? It's gotta be a manual...

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just thinkin'.... how about the driveline out of a pre-97 F-150? Seems like the trans and t-case should bolt right up to a 5.0, seeing as that's one of the most common setups in those trucks... Can't speak to the model numbers or the potential issues, but at a glance, it would seem it should be relatively simple....

Just thinkin'.... how about the driveline out of a pre-97 F-150? Seems like the trans and t-case should bolt right up to a 5.0, seeing as that's one of the most common setups in those trucks... Can't speak to the model numbers or the potential issues, but at a glance, it would seem it should be relatively simple....

are you talking about the tranny that would bolt to the 300 straight 6? I didn't know if the 300 had the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 302. I guess I got some reading to do.

okay

building the 98 is much easier then trying to put the v8 into the 99 truck

UNTIL you said you want to run a 5 speed transmission

putting a 5 speed transmission into the 98 5.0L truck is going to be very difficult
the 98 v8 computer controls the auto transmission, the 96-01 explorer 5.0L never came with a 5 speed transmission
the transmission controls need to be removed from the 998's computer before your v8 will run right with a 5 speed

You need to pick a transmission if you are dead set on getting a 5 speed in there
I recommend keeping the auto, unless you like complicated conversions

How many miles on the 98?

If its very high miles you may consider removing and rebuilding, if you are going this route, you are now one step closer to just putting the v8 stuff into the 99 lifted and locked

Pick a transmission and t case and then decide which route to take

The BW 4406 manual t case will bolt into your 98 keeping the auto transmission
this is a very good t case with a nice low range

I haven't done much research on the 5 speed behind an Explorer 302, but would a ZF 5 Speed Trans from a Ford Fullsize have the same bell housing and bolt to the 302? I feel the major roadblock is the PCM in running a 5 speed. :dunno:

...snip... So now I'm thinking I want to keep the 5.0 one way or another and my ultimate goal is to have a lifted and locked 5.0 with a 5 spd and a manual t-case.

I took that to mean swapping the automatic trans and AWD t-case for a manual trans and manual transfer case.

are you talking about the tranny that would bolt to the 300 straight 6? I didn't know if the 300 had the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 302. I guess I got some reading to do.

No, I'm talking about the manual trans they used behind the 302 for several years (I want to say early to mid-90s??). I *think* the M5OD and the 13-56 were the ones they used. I suspect there may be a clearance issue between the t-case and fuel tank if you try to jam them into an Explorer, but again, I can't say for sure. It may be easier to swap out the entire drivetrain from the F-150.... electrically speaking, it's going to be a nightmare either way.

okay

building the 98 is much easier then trying to put the v8 into the 99 truck

UNTIL you said you want to run a 5 speed transmission

putting a 5 speed transmission into the 98 5.0L truck is going to be very difficult
the 98 v8 computer controls the auto transmission, the 96-01 explorer 5.0L never came with a 5 speed transmission
the transmission controls need to be removed from the 998's computer before your v8 will run right with a 5 speed

A simple thing to change in the tuning IIRC.... I think someone else on here did that with a SuperChip custom tune... I'm sure some of the tuning gurus can provide more guidance than I can.

I'd second the vote for simply slapping the 44-06 onto the existing trans.... The trans it's got is plenty stout, and for hard-core off-roading, I'd rather have an auto anyways.

-Joe

ah ha! just the man I was hoping would chime in here...

That I figured, I have an SCT Xcalibrator 2 and I was assuming I would be able to get someone to make a program for me that would ignore the transmission stuff, or is there more to it then that?

You need to pick a transmission if you are dead set on getting a 5 speed in there I recommend keeping the auto, unless you like complicated conversions
I'm pretty set on doing it with a manual, the auto takes all the fun out of it for me. Once I get the computer squared away then I would assume there wouldn't be too much more electrical stuff to deal with? no special wiring should be needed right? Maybe for the reverse lights? a clutch pedal kill?

How many miles on the 98?
205K, mostly highway miles though and it still runs strong although I also figure I might as well rebuild it while I have an easy chance to pull it(no tranny).

Back