• Register Today It's free!

Brake Booster Boot Foam Silencer

kumaxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
A hiss/swoosh sound occurs when applying brakes. Inside the rubber boot, where the brake pedal rod goes through, a foam silencer is suppose to be there. My 1999 Explorer foam silencer has disintegrated and needs to be replaced. Is their a source to buy a new boot with foam silencer? If not, maybe a trip to the craft store to buy some foam to make one...

Thanks!

btw - the attached pic is not an Explorer Boot.

Booster Silencer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A hiss/swoosh sound occurs when applying brakes. Inside the rubber boot, where the brake pedal rod goes through, a foam silencer is suppose to be there. My 1999 Explorer foam silencer has disintegrated and needs to be replaced. Is their a source to buy a new boot with foam silencer? If not, maybe a trip to the craft store to buy some foam to make one...

Thanks!

btw - the attached pic is not an Explorer Boot.

View attachment 432804
when mine was replaced i ended up using gasket maker so make some seal like the foam does. though when its removed it may be more challenging to remove than fhe foam was

when mine was replaced i ended up using gasket maker so make some seal like the foam does. though when its removed it may be more challenging to remove than fhe foam was
Gasket maker? Brand? You put it inside the boot covering everything and it remains soft, flexible? Same as the foam? Or on the outside of the boot, gluing it to the brake pedal push rod, sealing it off completely, no air flow?

And what was replaced? The boot or entire booster?

Gasket maker? Brand? You put it inside the boot covering everything and it remains soft, flexible? Same as the foam? Or on the outside of the boot, gluing it to the brake pedal push rod, sealing it off completely, no air flow?

And what was replaced? The boot or entire booster?
i used the blue tube permatex stuff to make me a gasket like an oil pan gasket for example to keep it from leaking. layed a bead around the perimiter of the hole on the firewall to seal off the booster. while the gasket maker was still in a gel state i installed the booster so then it basically had a gasket sealing it vs foam. doenside is if you replace it again gota scrape it off. it is skightly flexible once dry butnjot much. replaced the whole boostero

oh oops my bad. i thoight you were toaking about the booster to firewall foam. my bad.

i used the blue tube permatex stuff to make me a gasket like an oil pan gasket for example to keep it from leaking. layed a bead around the perimiter of the hole on the firewall to seal off the booster. while the gasket maker was still in a gel state i installed the booster so then it basically had a gasket sealing it vs foam. doenside is if you replace it again gota scrape it off. it is skightly flexible once dry butnjot much. replaced the whole boostero
Thats ok. Any suggestions appreciated. I was thinking of trying to find a boot that would fit over this one but hard to find any boots... Or just stuffing some foam inside but the boot is ripped/torn on the end and will not hold anything inside very well. May be stuff foam inside, then zip tie a plastic washer on the end, pressing the plastic washer against the rubber boot. dunno...

Brake Booster Boot.jpg

Back