Brake caliper seized | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake caliper seized

So this will be the 3rd set of calipers and 4th set of brake pads for this vehicle. To say one is disappointed and frustrated would be the mother of all understatements.

Who is doing the work on your Explorer? You can blame the first set on Ford if you had a corrosion issue on the sliders, but the second set would be tied to whoever did the replacement work.

Thankfully, mine had 80,000+ miles of service before I replaced the pads and rotors. When I did, I put a thin layer of the appropriate high temp brake lube on the sliders and back of pads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum sticks99ca.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about all the issues you've had. Many members here have found the Forum the same way, searching the Internet for an answer to their problems.

Peter
Hi,
Maybe there is a way to merge this thread with the "2011-2015 Ford Explorer: Are Your Rear Brakes Dragging... Most Likely Yes!". On that one it is clear the best thing to do is hit it up with the anti-seize brake grease in the pad channels to prevent corrosion and sticking like dco43054 said.

UPDATE:

The local authorized Ford dealership has been servicing the car since day 1. It begs the question of their qualifications and competency.

Current status is equipment (calipers, pads, rotors - one replaced the other machined) replaced and that Ford Canada assumed 50% of the cost with the dealership and myself at 25% each. In the end I had to pay $180. It should have been more like $0.

The most shocking part was when they told us that "It would be in our best interest" to complete their survey and say we were "very satisfied" with their service. This would enable us to continue getting the "good service" we have been receiving. SPEECHLESS!!!! They also told us to be aware that the comment box goes to Ford Canada and that they will read this.

The most shocking part was when they told us that "It would be in our best interest" to complete their survey and say we were "very satisfied" with their service. This would enable us to continue getting the "good service" we have been receiving. SPEECHLESS!!!! They also told us to be aware that the comment box goes to Ford Canada and that they will read this.
What they meant was it would be in "THEIR best interest". I hate when - at the end of a service - franchisees tell me they need "5 stars" or whatever on their surveys. When they don't earn it, they don't get it.

The Ford dealerships in the U.S. are independent businesses. I'd be holding my local dealership responsible if they botched a job. That Ford Canada paid 50% is nice. The dealership should have taken care of the other half.

UPDATE:

The local authorized Ford dealership has been servicing the car since day 1. It begs the question of their qualifications and competency.

Current status is equipment (calipers, pads, rotors - one replaced the other machined) replaced and that Ford Canada assumed 50% of the cost with the dealership and myself at 25% each. In the end I had to pay $180. It should have been more like $0.

I totally agree with you, they didn't step up and cover the costs of something that's actually beyond your control then they dont get 5 stars.

If they are doing regular service they should be lubricating the calipers to reduce the possibility of it seizing. Its on the list of maintenance items included in "The Works"

I just got mine back from a dealership service "The Works" and oil was dripping down the filter. I had to drive back and they found it was a bent filter seal ring that was faulty.

I wont be giving them 5 Stars on their survey.

The whole reason you go to the dealership and not Mr Lube or the other cheap oil change places is so you dont have issues like that.

Interestly enough I was asking a Ford of Canada executive about why in the US "The Works" package is normally $39 with a $10 off coupon available as compared to Canuckastan where its $69 and no coupons. He said that the dealers wouldn't agree to matching the US pricing. They say their labour is higher and so is their parts cost. I call BS, oil changes are the best way to keep in touch with the customer after a sale.

So please dont let that dealer off the hook, hammer them on the survey so they have to explain to Ford HQ why.

oil changes are the best way to get the customer back into the shop so you can screw them on un-necessary service after a sale.

You'd think they'd be all over this.....

I just got mine back from a dealership service "The Works" and oil was dripping down the filter. I had to drive back and they found it was a bent filter seal ring that was faulty.

I wont be giving them 5 Stars on their survey.
Nor should they get 5 stars. It would imply they did a complete job, including a quality check before delivering it to you.

UPDATE:

Thanks for the latest, sticks99ca. I see that you reached out via private message and I'll get back to you there shortly.

Mariel

We've got nearly 60K on our Ex. Just did an oil/oil filter/cabin filter change and tire rotation yesterday. When I checked the pads, the fronts looked fine, the backs however is a different story. The inner pads were about half the thickness as the outer pads, on both sides. Is this normal for the Ex? Usually the inside and outside are the same thickness, at least every time I've done brakes. Are the Ex pads designed differently, where the inner pads are not as thick as the outer?

I had the same problem twice with my 2013 Explorer. Ford should admit that there is a design flaw.

Filed a complaint at Transport Canada

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

This is the second time for the same issue to happen on a brand new car.

Incident #1 : April 21, 2014, mileage: 23,700 km
Incident #2 : May 17, 2015, mileage: 36,000 km

Exactly same symptom as described below.

Rear passenger side brake overheated after a short drive, with wheel became glowing hot. Rear driver side wheel also felt hot. Also with strong burning smell.

Brought to dealer, found caliper seized, and had to replace rotors & pads. Dealer claimed that brakes need annual service to avoid seizing. However, given the fact that the same problem happened 1 year apart, annual maintenance did not help avoid the same problem.

This is a serious safety concern as it can happen any time and cause brake failure.

We've got nearly 60K on our Ex. Just did an oil/oil filter/cabin filter change and tire rotation yesterday. When I checked the pads, the fronts looked fine, the backs however is a different story. The inner pads were about half the thickness as the outer pads, on both sides. Is this normal for the Ex? Usually the inside and outside are the same thickness, at least every time I've done brakes. Are the Ex pads designed differently, where the inner pads are not as thick as the outer?

I had the same issue. Both sides, the inner pads were a lot thinner than the outside. I think this may be normal for the Explorer? However, I doubt this should be happening.

Sounds like the sliders on the calipers are seizing, If the out side pad is warn more it's usually a slider problem, this is an ongoing concern with most disc brakes, the sliders should be removed and a good lube like silicone lube (which won't hurt the rubber parts ) put on yearly if in bad climate, most emergency brakes now are in the inside of the rotor, My Ford dealer lubes them when I get an oil change, right side seizes up faster than left side because of the curb lane has usually more water and grim most of the time ,

After my crappy brake job, my parking brake was loose. Turns out, the parking brake is actually extending the caliper piston to get the pads to grip the rear wheels. So if you have a messed up rear caliper, you also won't have emergency/ parking brakes.

2012 explorer with 87k miles here that is doing the same thing. Guess I should of done more research into purchasing a really nice used vehicle. No way thi thing should be in the shop constantly for brakes. Drivers side rear seizes up on and off . Wheel was so hot yesterday I couldn't even touch it.

2012 explorer with 87k miles here that is doing the same thing. Guess I should of done more research into purchasing a really nice used vehicle. No way thi thing should be in the shop constantly for brakes. Drivers side rear seizes up on and off . Wheel was so hot yesterday I couldn't even touch it.

Having the same issue here!!! Bought my 2012 Brand New. I don't have the same type of mileage as you. Left rear is seized and right is sticking!!! I do have low mileage. And the rationale is that the car sits a lot. I have a Motorhome (Ford Chassis) that "sits a lot" and don't have this issue!!! $850 for rear brakes, the calipers, the rotors have heated so they want to replace and pads as well. Brake fluid because it got hot in the mix. Seriously!!!!!!!! I am out of warranty of course and the extended won't touch it because of the "corrosion" on the Caliper. I cited this forum, but to no avail. SERIOUSLY!!!!! I researched this car for months before my purchase and it seemed to be the best version at the time. And this is pushing my buttons at this time. I have a Limited optioned out, so it wasn't a cheap date! And then add the cost of an extended warranty. I am spitting nails right now!

Having the same issue here!!! Bought my 2012 Brand New. I don't have the same type of mileage as you. Left rear is seized and right is sticking!!! I do have low mileage. And the rationale is that the car sits a lot. I have a Motorhome (Ford Chassis) that "sits a lot" and don't have this issue!!! $850 for rear brakes, the calipers, the rotors have heated so they want to replace and pads as well. Brake fluid because it got hot in the mix. Seriously!!!!!!!! I am out of warranty of course and the extended won't touch it because of the "corrosion" on the Caliper. I cited this forum, but to no avail. SERIOUSLY!!!!! I researched this car for months before my purchase and it seemed to be the best version at the time. And this is pushing my buttons at this time. I have a Limited optioned out, so it wasn't a cheap date! And then add the cost of an extended warranty. I am spitting nails right now!
Regardless of the "corrosion", the ESP specifically states that it does not cover brakes and associated parts.
My brother's 4Runner sat for 4 months and the brakes seized.

Peter

Regardless of the "corrosion", the ESP specifically states that it does not cover brakes and associated parts.
My brother's 4Runner sat for 4 months and the brakes seized.

Peter

apvett

Just went through the same issue with my 2012 CPO Limited. Part of certifying it at 21k miles was to put on new pads and cut the rotors. After only 11k on those I had to replace pads and put on new rotors due to seized calipers. Was still within my 12K/12mos CPO warranty but they wouldn't cover it or acknowledge there is an issue.

I've been going back and forth with Ford Customer Service Rep. Angela Keevis who can only give me scripted responses out of the Ford Handbook as she refuses to recognize there is an issue. Instead she recommended I contact Ford ESP and sign up to give Ford more of my money. I told her she should review the multiple threads on this site covering this issue and I'd have others, like yourself, pass along your story. Her e-mail is below.

akeevis@ford.com

2013 XLT caliper, pad, rotor issue

hi I'm new. Purchased a 2013 explorer late April this year it had 34k miles. Been regular on my oil changes. Went in last Monday 11/9 for oil change they checked off pads were good at 6+. Drive off island Saturday the 14th and on our way home Sunday hear grinding on the back drivers side rear. Get home hubby looks and says you need to call the dealership you have a huge groove in your rotor (he could see it with the tire on. I call Monday 11/16 take it in they tell me my caliper ceased causing this. I said you just checked it a week ago how does that happen in a week? He says it's rare but it can happen. I left it told him to call the warranty place and call me back. Calls me back says warranty only covers the caliper so with the $100 deductible I'm still basically paying for it, and he talked them into covering $84 in labor the remaining will be $596 out of pocket but they recommend I do the other caliper at the same time so that will be $796 if you do both plus I would need to cover that deductible either way. Seriously? If the caliper ceased and it's a known issue and that resulted in the brake pad and rotor issue in one week why isn't it all covered? So frustrated needless to say with a family of 6 and the holidays approaching we picked it up today and hubby is bought all the parts for under $200. I feel like every time I go in they say I need something else and nothing is ever their fault or fords. When my Aline trim broke off on the highway they said it was my fault for taking it through the car wash and then I had to purchase another part under it because they said I couldn't see it but that was damaged too? I had only had the car at that time 2 months. So that went from a $100 part to a $400 job with parts and labor. So sad, I love my explorer but in the short 7 months I have had it, has cost me too much with no help from my dealership. Frustrating especially after reading these forums that so many owners have the same issues.

Welcome to the Forum Hendrix2013.:wavey:
You mention "Warranty" in you post. What warranty are you referring to? You had 34k miles in April, if you are now over 36k miles then your 3 year/36k mile factory warranty has expired. I'm guessing you're talking about a Ford CPO warranty? In any case, brakes are a 'wear' item and are only covered for 1 year or 12k miles under the factory warranty. Calipers are covered under the CPO Warranty subject to any deductible you may have.

Peter

hi I'm new. Purchased a 2013 explorer late April this year it had 34k miles. Been regular on my oil changes. Went in last Monday 11/9 for oil change they checked off pads were good at 6+. Drive off island Saturday the 14th and on our way home Sunday hear grinding on the back drivers side rear. Get home hubby looks and says you need to call the dealership you have a huge groove in your rotor (he could see it with the tire on. I call Monday 11/16 take it in they tell me my caliper ceased causing this. I said you just checked it a week ago how does that happen in a week? He says it's rare but it can happen. I left it told him to call the warranty place and call me back. Calls me back says warranty only covers the caliper so with the $100 deductible I'm still basically paying for it, and he talked them into covering $84 in labor the remaining will be $596 out of pocket but they recommend I do the other caliper at the same time so that will be $796 if you do both plus I would need to cover that deductible either way. Seriously? If the caliper ceased and it's a known issue and that resulted in the brake pad and rotor issue in one week why isn't it all covered? So frustrated needless to say with a family of 6 and the holidays approaching we picked it up today and hubby is bought all the parts for under $200. I feel like every time I go in they say I need something else and nothing is ever their fault or fords. When my Aline trim broke off on the highway they said it was my fault for taking it through the car wash and then I had to purchase another part under it because they said I couldn't see it but that was damaged too? I had only had the car at that time 2 months. So that went from a $100 part to a $400 job with parts and labor. So sad, I love my explorer but in the short 7 months I have had it, has cost me too much with no help from my dealership. Frustrating especially after reading these forums that so many owners have the same issues.

As Peter asked, is this a Ford ESP and if so, is it the Premium warranty, CPO warranty etc? If it is a Ford warranty and the caliper is covered then the remaining work is covered as well. A covered part that has failed which has caused other parts to fail is completely covered by the warranty because the root cause of the failure was a covered part.

You need to fight this or escalate it to Ford CS if the dealership is not covering this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm moving this over from a different thread I started, but it seems like it should go here:

All,

First off, thanks for having such a great forum. There is a ton of great information here.

The issue I'm having is a horrible squealing noise that has been coming from what I believe are the brakes. I've got a 2014 XLT 4x4 with ~22000 miles on it. I bought it used/certified around 5 months ago. A few months into ownership, I started to notice a loud squealing noise coming from the rear when I applied brakes. It would start out quietly, and then gradually get louder as I got further into the drive. There would even be times when I would be driving without accelerating and the noise would start, though nowhere near as loud as it would be if I applied the brakes.

I took it back to my dealer to get looked at. So far they have replaced the rotors and the brake pads. The noise would go away for a day or so, and then would come back. They have not been able to successfully diagnose the issue, and have even submitted it to Ford engineering, who claim they've not seen a problem like this before. The vehicle brakes just fine, but the noise is extremely annoying.

So, any ideas what might be going on?

Back