Brake disc replacement

ArtistsRifles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
London, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK Spec
Going by the intermittent squeaking from the O/S rear wheel I think we have a warped brake disc- and by the fact the handbrake won't hold, worn-out rear pads - are these easy enough to replace without recourse to the (in)famous Ford "special tools"??

And are these a reasonable price????

Front pads & discs

Rear pads & discs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rotorss and pads are very easy to replace -- no special tools needed at all.

The shoes for the hand brake (aka "emergency brake"), is a little bit more painful because it is basically a "drum brake" setup. While replacement of the shoes also does not require any special tools (just a basic set of wrenches, needle nose, etc..), the process is somewhat tedious because of the intricate springs, tiny components, and hard-to-reach places.

IZwack said:
The rotorss and pads are very easy to replace -- no special tools needed at all.

The shoes for the hand brake (aka "emergency brake"), is a little bit more painful because it is basically a "drum brake" setup. While replacement of the shoes also does not require any special tools (just a basic set of wrenches, needle nose, etc..), the process is somewhat tedious because of the intricate springs, tiny components, and hard-to-reach places.

Ah - so the handbrake does not use the rear calipers as a European car would then??

Am I correct in assuming the handbrake should be self adjusting and a failure to hold means those shoes are also worn to excess???

ArtistsRifles said:
Ah - so the handbrake does not use the rear calipers as a European car would then??
Assuming Ford used the same calipers on the European Explorer as the Ameican Explorer, then that is correct -- the caliper is not used for the handbrake.

ArtistsRifles said:
Am I correct in assuming the handbrake should be self adjusting and a failure to hold means those shoes are also worn to excess???
Again, assuming your Explorer has the same brake system that the American Explorers have, then you should be able to adjust the parking brake by 'advancing' a gear through a tiny little slot on the metal dust cover. You will see this mechanism once you remove the rotor. You will see a hirzontal gear which, when rotated, adjusts the distance between the pads and the rotor.

The parking brake is a similar arrangement to that on Vauxhall Carltons. The inside of the disc hub acts as a brake drum for the parking brake shoes. Looking from underneath the car there is an elongated rubber bung near the bottom of the backplate. Prise off the bung and if you look carefully you will see the 'gear' referred to in the earlier post. You may know it better as a 'star wheel' and if you've ever played with older Suzuki LJ80 or SJ410s you'll know the type of thing used for manually adjusting the brakes. Crank the star wheel with a flat bladed screwdriver. Experiment which way to crank it - when you get it right the correct way wheel will start to lock as you adjust it. Use common sense to set it with minimum drag. DON'T FORGET TO SWITCH OFF THE SELF LEVELLING SUSPENSION BEFORE JACKING UP THE VEHICLE!!! (Switch is in the jack locker).

Simon H

Thanks all - will have look underneath this weekend - rain & thunder permitting!! :)

The problem with the handbrake shoes is not so much that they wear out more that they fall apart and seize through lack of use and age. The thing to do is strip it all down including taking off the shoes and take out the fulcrum lever that the handbrake cable is attached to. This is actually two parts and they should just lift off each other. You may well find that the pivot is seized. They are not automatic and will need to be adjusted by hand. The book says to lock up with the star wheel and then back off till just free.

Thanks again!! I'll be glad when the manual arrives from Amazon!!
Hate working "in the dark" :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath... I haven't found Haynes to be much use for anything other than technical data such as capacities, torque settings, etc...
As Howard says, it's best to strip down the parking brake assembly and clean / lubricate the lever and pivot. Be prepared for grazed knuckles... I made a useful 'brake shoe spring putting on' tool by grinding a small 'nick' into the middle of an old screwdriver blade. I suppose somebody like Draper will sell them - but hey! I'm a tight assed Yorkshireman!

BTW you might find it easier to set the shoe adjustment if you have BOTH rear wheels off the ground at the same time.

Simon H ;)

When you put things back together, make sure the star gear (parking brake adjusting screw) is fully closed. Once you have everything back together, remove the rubber grommett on the inside of the dust shield. Upen up the star wheel, tooth by tooth with a crewdriver until it won't turn anymore. The shoes are now in contact with the inside of the drum. Back it off 3 teeth and it's adjusted. Done. Good luck.

Back