• Register Today It's free!

Brake drums wont budge!

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I am trying to get remove the brake drum/s due to a lot of popping noises that are probably the rear brakes, I am just trying to get em off to inspect.
However, no matter what I have tried, the drum will not come off. I backed the brake way off, nothing, sprayed wd40 on all the rusty slide spots, nothing, got a mini sledge, tapped around outside, between the lugs, and around the back edge, nada, not a damn thing. E-brake is released also.
Am I missing something here, they are supposed to just slide off, even on 4x4 models, right? My chilton mentions some crap about three retaining nuts, but I have looked front and back and see nothing like that, but they also got how to tighten/loosen the brakes backwards already, so I dont think thats right either. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those things can be a bear to get off sometimes. Keep tapping/hitting the drum around the stud area, careful not to hit the studs.
Mark

Thanks, I went out and smacked it a few times around the studs, that got 'er loose. Brakes are not too bad, just typical wear and tear. Still gotta look at the other side tho, save that for another day.

tap the outside lip towards you and pull with your other hand on the oppisite side. Alternate every 5 taps or so. You could try gentle heating of the drum as well.

One trick is to loosen the star gear adjuster before pulling them off. They also sell a brake drum puller. I have one. It is basically like a big gear puller, but they don't recommend using it this way. You put the puller on, then tap the arms with a hammer on the flat area where they are under the drum's outer lip.

I have a 98 F-150 that had grabby brakes on the back. If it was a little damp out or if the brakes were at ambient temp they would grab and lock the rear tires up. I replaced the shoes and the problem went away for about 1 month. Then it came back. I looked at the drums and they looked to be in really good shape. So I thought I would just replace the drums this time and no more problems!
anyway, just food for thought.

Mark

Back