brake help- w/ pics

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
pics of my rear rotor on my Rubicon, it was heating up and I suspected a stuck caliper, but from the last pic and the wear on the inside of the drum Im thinking the parking brake was not adjusted correctly. Anyone comment on that theory. I decided to take the brakes apart a few hours before Im getting ready to head to OBX for the week :D .

615rear_rotor3.jpg

615rear_rotor2.jpg

615rear_rotor1.jpg

This last pic looks like a heat trace from the parking brake, if you look at the previous picture the trace mimics the wear on the inside of the drum.

Im no metals engineer, but it looks like the heat was generated from the drum part of the rotor. Maybe wishful thinking since I cant find a caliper ont he friday before a holiday weekend.
Opinions on the heat source welcome.

I backed the parking brake adjuster back and checked everything else out. Pray I can get to OBX tomorrow(and that traffic wont be to horrific.

I did make sure to pack the tools I would need if I do need to replace the caliper ...if I can find one on the road :?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the drum adjuster carefully, and be sure it has enough lubrication. For such a new vehicle, nothing should be corroded too bad, or stuck. Does it use a typical thumb wheel?

The Explorer parking brakes are very weak, the pads are thin, and they can easily wear out if accidently left on. I hope your 04 is much better. Good luck,

SteveVB said:
Im getting ready to head to OBX for the week :D .
[Off topic!!]

But I declare this coming weekend/week officially OBX time!! I will be in Duck, a coworker will be in Manteo, another coworker will be in Nagshead, and at least two friends of mine will be in Kill Devil Hills.

Independance Day on the beach rocks!!! Have a good trip Steve!!! :thumbsup:

[topic back on]

Robb said:
[Off topic!!]

But I declare this coming weekend/week officially OBX time!! I will be in Duck, a coworker will be in Manteo, another coworker will be in Nagshead, and at least two friends of mine will be in Kill Devil Hills.

Independance Day on the beach rocks!!! Have a good trip Steve!!! :thumbsup:

[topic back on]

Ill second it- hopefully getting up 12 wont be too bad. Robb, Ill be a bit north of Duck, I think Ocean Sands this year. We have a family reunion going on my dads side, two full houses of people. :usa: :usa: heres to some great weather for a week of beach fun. :cool:

to continue off topic, Robb, from Richmond do you guys come across 460? Im thinking I may skip 64 and take 295 a little farther south and pick up 460. Trying to avoid the traffic on 64.

Oh yea, wave if you see me working on the Rubi on the side of the road. :D

Have fun

Oops, probably too late here, but the only people I know that use 460 to get there, are people who live deep on the south side of Richmond, and them getting up to 64 takes awhile.

I have never had much of a problem getting through NN, Hampton on 64, but I usually go through in the evening. As long as you are going through the Monitor Merrimack, you should miss most of the traffic jam.

Im back, adjusted out the parking brake and it did the trick.

OBX was great- sun, sand, some fireworks, our neighbors had a band playing one night, kyaking on the sound, super weather, a great time :chug: .

Robb, yep too late...I did take 460- dont know if it was much shorter, but there was no traffic. The whole trip the only real traffic was going down on 95 s at 295(jumped off at exit 104 and took Rt 1 south), and again Sat afternoon getting up NC 12 until we got past Duck.

Hope everyone who was down had a great time- you couldnt have asked for a nicer week.

Back