• Register Today It's free!

Brake issues

J08j06

Reaction score
City, State
Niles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
I recently replaced all the lines on my 91 explorer. Bled the system until no air bubbles were coming out of the bleeders. Pedal is nice and hard until I start the explorer up. After that the pedal is spongy and goes all the way to the floor. Brakes work but the pedal is not what it was like before the lines blew. Also there is some brake fluid present under the master cylinder where it bolts to the booster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The seal for the master pushrod could be leaking. It will sometimes leak into the booster and ruin it too. Also did you bleed out the RABS valve? It's on the frame under the driver's feet. It has a bleeder on it. If you did all that work, I would replace the master as well.

I did not bleed the rabs valve. I actually forgot about it. I'll do that and check the master cylinder. Hopefully I can get it fixed with no more problems popping up.

I did not bleed the rabs valve. I actually forgot about it. I'll do that and check the master cylinder. Hopefully I can get it fixed with no more problems popping up.

Post what you find. I'm curious.

I'll make sure to post what I find when I work on it again. Hopefully this weekend.

Post what you find. I'm curious.
Well I replaced the master cylinder, bench bled it, then installed it. Bled the brakes and they seem to be almost the same as before they blew, so all is good.

Did you have to bleed the ABS?

Did you have to bleed the ABS?
No I just kept bledding the brakes as normal and I got them to stiffen up. They are not as nice as I would like them to be but they are the same as before the lines blew.

Back