brake light and front end noise

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
hey all
so my brake light keeps coming on and off started the other day the first real cold day of the year and seems to come on mostly when its real cold out. brakes are working fine fuild level is good but when i checked the fuild i noticed that there was some kinda sensor on the res. that looked pretty nasty almost looked moldy.. can someone tell what that thing is?????:rolleyes: and if that could cuase the light
also getting a clicking sound almost like sliiping gears when i turn the wheel all the way right or left, please tell me i dont need a new rack...
oh yeah its a 95 xlt 4 wheel drive thanks for any help its way to cold and snowy out to be f'en around with no clue in the parking spot at my apt.
thanks
Danny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all
so my brake light keeps coming on and off started the other day the first real cold day of the year and seems to come on mostly when its real cold out. brakes are working fine fuild level is good but when i checked the fuild i noticed that there was some kinda sensor on the res. that looked pretty nasty almost looked moldy.. can someone tell what that thing is?????:rolleyes: and if that could cuase the light
also getting a clicking sound almost like sliiping gears when i turn the wheel all the way right or left, please tell me i dont need a new rack...
oh yeah its a 95 xlt 4 wheel drive thanks for any help its way to cold and snowy out to be f'en around with no clue in the parking spot at my apt.
thanks
Danny

First issue: The brake light comes on when fluid gets low; the fact that it's worse when cold suggests that is the issue. Don't remember exactly where on the reservoir the sensor is on the Explorer.
Second issue: Clicking while turning is classic symptom of CV joint problems. Look to see if the boots are torn and grease slung around near one or both hubs.

ok awesome thanks for reply yeah fluid looks good but old... i'll flush it and as for cv boots yeah they look like s**t.... better then the rack any good links for the replacement??
Thanks again
Danny

ok awesome thanks for reply yeah fluid looks good but old... i'll flush it and as for cv boots yeah they look like s**t.... better then the rack any good links for the replacement??
Thanks again
Danny

May not need to flush system - just clean out reservoir. WRT your "mouldy sensor", there is a no-charge safety recall on a cruise control cutoff switch that mounts in the brake master. I believe that it leaks brake fluid and poses a fire hazard. I just had it done on my 97 last year; call Ford and give them your VIN and they can tell you if it applies to/has been done on yours.

No help on the CV joints, I'm afraid. My Ex is 2WD; I just have FWD and thus CV joints on a bunch of other vehicles.

Good luck.

great thx for all the input callin ford now...... as for cleaning the res any tips
Danny

great thx for all the input callin ford now...... as for cleaning the res any tips
Danny

Not really - never done one on the vehicle. Don't know that you can remove reservoir while master still mounted. I would suck out all the old fluid and wipe out where I could reach with paper towels, then refill with fresh fluid. If you find a "float" for the level sensor, pull it out if possible and clean it. Don't use water in the cleaning process; use clean brake fluid instead.
Good luck.

Back