Brake light issues!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake light issues!!

SoundDesignMastr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
Ive been searching through the forum and came to a conclusion that i just cant resolve this issue. MY brake lights don't turn on at all not the third light not the brake lights when brake pressed. i managed to got the lights to turn on when headlights on. ive changed fuses, light bulbs lights sockets and the brake pedal switch with no luck. i get no power at the socket with DMM when brake pressed im running out of things to check with no luck. please help i know ith something electrical its just a matter of where to check now. thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look up behind your left taillight, and you will find a plug for the trailer harness plug-in. Make sure that this is not corroded, and that the wires are ok and no water in it. Lots of post about this causing problems with the brake lights.

forgot to mention i had also checked that and like before i get no power at the trailer light plug either. i really dont want to take it to a shop might cost an arm and a leg but looks like i might have to..i drive during the day swithching the headlights everytime i brake to signal im braking and at night i just have the headlights on with the low beam rear but no brake light when precessed. please help.

That kind of thing would happen to small trailers hooked up to a car. you would turn on the headlites of the car and the tail lites of the trailer would also go on. But step on the brake and not only wouldn't the trailers brake lites go on but the tail lites would also go off, so there was no lite back there at all.
The cause of this was a bad ground between the car and the trailer. If you have a bad ground wire on the back lite it will do much the same thing.
Look at the lits plug and make sure it isn't corroded. If thats ok then scotch cip a pice of wire on the taillte ground wire [sorry i dont know which color it is and run it to the neg terminal of the battery. Now if that cures it then find a good piece of metal ground in the trunk somewhere and screw the wire in,
the reason i said go to the battery for the test is because new cars have a lot of plastic everywhere and we have to be positive for the test.
If thatsw not it come back and we'll think something else up.because then its something else.

Back