Brake lights don't come on unless you press pedal firmly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake lights don't come on unless you press pedal firmly

xhomerjayx

Reaction score
City, State
new york, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Hi guys:
so, it seems that "big red" now has another issues. I noticed that unless I press the brake pedal firmly, the brake lights don't come on. I was stopped by an old dude who told me I had no brake lights, so I got out and checked. Pressed the brake, lights come on. No problem, I thought.

Of course, I started testing it out and found that unless I press the brakes firmly, and hold them firmly, the lights do not come on. So, if I am at a stop light, and put enough pressure to keep the car stopped, the lights are off. However, I know that they work. I even had my mechanic look at them, and he said they work, but when I got home, I backed into my spot, and noticed that if I applied the brake softly, the lights do not come on.

Here is what I have done thus far:

New brake light switch. (Ford OEM)
Bled system
checked and replaced fuses.
Ford changed the cruise control brake cutoff (recall) I am thinking that this is why I am having issues.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I am confused and annoyed.

I would be happy to buy yet another switch, but it seems to be a waste of money.

My wife's 2004 does this sometimes. Usually, the brake light switch on the brake pedal arm will stick on its pivot point and I have to reach under and whack it a bit. It used to stick in the "on" position, which would run the battery down, but it occasionally sticks in the "off" position, which of course means no brake lights, and also prevents shifting from Park. I plan to eventually...replace the switch, but for now I just wiggle it a bit when needed.

I fixed it. The ford techs could not figure it out...not shocked. But the switch's orientation mattered. They had it placed at 90 degree angle from the brake pedal. it has to be inline with the pedal. They tried to tell me that it was my master cylinder or calipers.

Back