• Register Today It's free!

Brake lights.

SUV_RIDER

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
hello, i've a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with 62,000 miles @ V6. My brake lights + high mounted brake light will not turn off for some reason or another. Has anyone else has this problem with your Explorer? If so, how did you fix this problem? Could the problem be the brake light switch? Are brake light switch expensive? Is it normal for a switch to go bad within 62,000 miles? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for responding, i didn't know there was a separate fuse for the brake lights. Curious, if the fuse was bad, the lights wouldn't be on at all, correct?

Welcome to this forum! It sounds like it could be either the brake light switch or a fuse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I had that problem in the 02. Was the brake light swith. Well ours wouldn't go on at all. Was a pain because then it wouldn't come out of part too with out using the shift interlock thing. Anyways I found out that there was a TSB for it and Autozone was the only place besides the dealer that carried it. Was like 20 dollars dor the whole kit uncluding the wireing harness. FYI... the brake light switch is right at the top of the break pedle. U may be able to take it aprart can clean the contacts, just as a temp fix though.

I found the switch and removed it easily with a drop cord light of course, very dark under there while working in a garage. Had to lay myself crosswise and other ways just to get this thing out of there:)). The problem now is i can't find one except the FORD dealer who has a price tag of $93.44, ridiculous. i went to two Auto Zone stores, PepBoys and Oreillys Auto Parts. None of them have the one that i need for the 2003 Ford Explorer. I plan to go to the junk yard to see if they have one. Shucks, i can use that $93 for gas for this tank. Otherwise, i will let mine sat in the garage for a while and drive my 2000 Monte Carlo. I catch a vanpool bus to work so everything will be alright. I found one place on the internet (i think it referred to as DIRECT FORD or FORD DIRECT that sells the part for $49. I've to verify the shipping costs prior to ordering. Heck, if the shipping is high, i may as well pay the local FORD shop their price which is my last resort. Thanks for sharing the knowledge! I'll be back to follow-up.

Yeah. I had that problem in the 02. Was the brake light swith. Well ours wouldn't go on at all. Was a pain because then it wouldn't come out of part too with out using the shift interlock thing. Anyways I found out that there was a TSB for it and Autozone was the only place besides the dealer that carried it. Was like 20 dollars dor the whole kit uncluding the wireing harness. FYI... the brake light switch is right at the top of the break pedle. U may be able to take it aprart can clean the contacts, just as a temp fix though.

my brake lights stay on sometimes also, I press the brake pedal a couple times and it goes off, thing is I don't always know when it's on. It's still covered on my Ford extended warranty for 3 more years so I'll get it fixed before the waranty is up...the warranty has got me a new tranny, new rear end, wheel bearing. My ex is like brand new now, especially with the new tranny with the updated program...smooth as silk now

Thanks for sharing that! I wouldn't have know my brake lights were on if it wasn't night time. I came in from an errand, park it in the driveway and noticed that the brake lights didn't go out and didn't until i disconnected the negative cable on the battery terminal. i can't even find this switch at a local part store. My warranty has expired but i haven't had any other problems with mine except for bad wheel sensor/wheel bearings (hub assembly). i just parked mine for a while and cruise in my Monte Carlo:)). Take it easy/thanks.

my brake lights stay on sometimes also, I press the brake pedal a couple times and it goes off, thing is I don't always know when it's on. It's still covered on my Ford extended warranty for 3 more years so I'll get it fixed before the waranty is up...the warranty has got me a new tranny, new rear end, wheel bearing. My ex is like brand new now, especially with the new tranny with the updated program...smooth as silk now

Problem with Brake Light Switch/Right Front Wheel Bearing Hub

:(FYI,
Thanks to all that commented on my problem with brake light switch. You were all correct. I purchased me a used one at a local auto salvage yard for $20 vs paying dealer ship $93. Now i have to replace right front wheel bearing hub/assembly. I'm hearing a roaring noise while turning steering wheel to the left, especially in while turning in a curve. Local shop states that problem is more than likely the left wheel hub bearing.

FYI,

I mean replacing the "right wheel hub bearing" not the left one:)).

:(FYI,
Thanks to all that commented on my problem with brake light switch. You were all correct. I purchased me a used one at a local auto salvage yard for $20 vs paying dealer ship $93. Now i have to replace right front wheel bearing hub/assembly. I'm hearing a roaring noise while turning steering wheel to the left, especially in while turning in a curve. Local shop states that problem is more than likely the left wheel hub bearing.

what does the switch look like? I assume its the same thing as a stop light switch right? I found one at advance auto parts for $10.50 as I need to replace mine as well, just curious.

Thanks

Stop Lamp Switch or Brake Light Switch

FYI,

Go to this website to see what the stop lamp switch look like:
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_0900c1528018f2d7_1.jpg

I got mine at a junk yard for under $20. The local FORD dealer was asking for $96. i don't think so.

take care

what does the switch look like? I assume its the same thing as a stop light switch right? I found one at advance auto parts for $10.50 as I need to replace mine as well, just curious.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

lol my explorer seems to have something new go wrong everyday. my brake lights too stay on on occassion but if I just tap it they go off. Good to know I can fix this myself cheap.

Just an update, the part I got from the local auto parts store was incorrect, it was too big but I disconnected it and cleaned the contacts as someone suggested and it is working fine for now, just a temporary fix until I can get the part. The part I have is for a 2 door explorer apparently, why they sold it to me when I told them it was a 4 door explorer is beyond me. I will check the junk yards and hope I have the same luck as SUV_RIDER

Stop Lamp Switch

Good luck! I had to contact several junk yards before i found one that had it. i had to drive over 30 miles or so just to get it. I figured i still came out on top vs buying it from the local FORD dealer. Have a good one!

Just an update, the part I got from the local auto parts store was incorrect, it was too big but I disconnected it and cleaned the contacts as someone suggested and it is working fine for now, just a temporary fix until I can get the part. The part I have is for a 2 door explorer apparently, why they sold it to me when I told them it was a 4 door explorer is beyond me. I will check the junk yards and hope I have the same luck as SUV_RIDER[/QUOTE]

Stop Lamp Switch

YOu got that right! Later

lol my explorer seems to have something new go wrong everyday. my brake lights too stay on on occassion but if I just tap it they go off. Good to know I can fix this myself cheap.[/QUOTE]

Back