Brake Line replaced Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Line replaced Problems

Jnz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Front passenger soft brake line between frame and caliper ripped. Replaced line and now there is no brakes anywhere. I've bled the brakes 4 times on each wheel starting rear to front and still nothing. Pedal has some pressure when truck is off, but as soon as you start the truck it's all the way to the floor nothing. Brakes were all the way to the top prior to line ripping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your master cylinder ran dry.

It believe it did, what does this mean?

Sounds like your master cylinder ran dry.
And if that's the case, you'll need to bleed the ABS. This requires a full-capability scanner with dedicated software. May need to go the dealer, but some better independent places should have those too.

For safety's sake, I should have said: "May need to tow it to the dealer...". Hope that's obvious with inoperative brakes.

And if that's the case, you'll need to bleed the ABS. This requires a full-capability scanner with dedicated software. May need to go the dealer, but some better independent places should have those too.

Bleed the master cylinder first. Loosen the lines from the master cylinder until fluid flows. Even if it ran dry you shouldn't have to do anything special except spend some extra time. There is always the possibility you scored the master cylinder piston by having it move further than it ordinarily would, and the cup tore on a ridge or some corrosion inside the bore that's not usually touched when the brake is operating normally.

Bill

I did try to bleed the master cylinder prior to doing the brakes by the bleeder valve on the bottom of it. Is this the same? Or will cracking the lines cause a different effect.

Back