Brake Noise

rjwiser

Reaction score
City, State
Austin. TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 v8 XLT
Hi all,
I recently began experiencing brakes noise (whooshing sound) in the front brakes. I changed the front pads thinking that this may solve the problem, which it did for a couple of days, but now the noise is back. The sounds only happen when the truck is almost at a full stop. Also, there seems to be a grinding, high pitched metal sound.

Perhaps the pads in the rear could be bad? Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rjwiser said:
Hi all,
I recently began experiencing brakes noise (whooshing sound) in the front brakes. I changed the front pads thinking that this may solve the problem, which it did for a couple of days, but now the noise is back. The sounds only happen when the truck is almost at a full stop. Also, there seems to be a grinding, high pitched metal sound.

Perhaps the pads in the rear could be bad? Any suggestions?

Did you resurface or replace the front rotors? If not, it could be causing your problem. I would also check the rears.

Rotors appeared to be fine. I may check the rear pads/and rotors as well, since it can be difficult to determine if the sound is in the front or rear while driving. Are rotors as simple to replace as the pads?

I have a 2000 so I can't speak directy to your 96 but it was pretty easy. The hardest part is getting the rotors off because they rust themselves on. I read many threads on it stating to hit them with a rubber mallot, but I found the best way to do it is by using a metal hammer. If you hit the hub with the metal hammer it will break the rust (and not damage the rotor if you want to reuse).

On some of the Explorers, the front rotors are attached to the hub so a little more difficult. I would suggest getting a Haynes repair manual and giving it a try. If you can do the pads, the rotors are just a couple more bolts (held in place by the caliper mounts. Another nice thing about the Haynes manual is it gives you torque specifications so you know how tight to make the bolts.

Another thing you should do is use loctite on the bolts in the front. There have been people who have had the bolts work loose on the calipers or caliper mounts. Try searching and you might be able to find a write-up for your year.

Good luck.

ps: I had squeaking / grinding and took apart my truck and replaced pads and rotors 2 times. When I went to AutoZone to say they were bad, the guy pointed out it was coming from the rear. Duh, I felt stupid :rolleyes:. Get a helper to listen outside while you drive the truck.

Thanks all for you help. The problem was the back left rear itself. The outter pad was completely worn, but the inner pad was not worn at all. Appears that the inner pad was installed incorrectly and jammed (was not even working at all). Will be doing my own brakes from here on it:)

Back